2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Oil change

I don't know about the orientation of the oil filter on your engine, but a trick we use on the Cummins engines is to put a gallon-size plastic bag around the filter as we remove it. Works rather well.

Cheap kitty litter works well on small messes.

Hawkeye65 wrote:

Reply to
John A. Mooney

Anyone have a clean and neat way of changing oil on these trucks? I like the fact the engineers placed a tray underneath the oil filter to help catch the oil, but I still have a time doing it without making, at the least, a small mess. I would appreciate any insight to this simple, but crucial, task.

TIA, Hawkeye65

Reply to
Hawkeye65

You could buy and install an oil filter relocation kit and move the filter to a more accessible location. I have one on my truck because the filter that I use simply will not fit in the factory location and doing this had the secondary benefit of making changes much easier and less messy. If you do go this route, make sure to get a quality kit from a place like Summit and stay away from the crap that they sell at J.C. Whitney.

Reply to
TBone