2003 QuadCab - where to get ignition power?

I'm looking for a 12v power source on the driver's side - one that goes off with the key. Is there an easy spot to do this or will I have to run one in from the fuse box in the engine compartment?

Easiest would be to tap to your ignition or starter wire. You can find this in the main harness running from the ignition switch down. Drop the knee bolster, find the harness and you want the Dark Blue for your ignition or Yellow for your starter.

Ok, so the Dark Blue would be a 12v source that goes off with the ignition? I pulled the lower panel (I assume what you mean when you say knee bolster) - will this Dark Blue wire be with many others, or by itself (or only a few others)?
Thanks!

The Dk. Blue wire will be in a harness with about 6 others. I will be bundled with the yellow wire I referenced. This Dk. Blue is your Ignition 1 wire and will only have 12 volts when you have the key all the way forward (with or with out the truck running) it will not work in the accessory position.
If you want it to work in the accessory position, then you have to tap your accessory wire which is Green or Orange.

Thanks again - that's the info I was looking for. You just made my life MUCH easier tomorrow.

John wrote:

On my 2004 Durango I used the dash cigarette lighter to tap into. Needed it to install an after market stereo. It's proximity to the stereo made it very simple to tap.

I tapped the cigarette lighter wire (red) for my gauge power (also own an '03). It's a 20A circuit all to itself. Since I never use the lighter, it's perfect.
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:49:00 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

Does your lighter goes off when the ignition is off?

Would I have tapped it as a switched power source if it didn't? :)
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:19:58 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

Touche. Mine stays on so I thought it was strange yours go's off.

I'm talking about the actual cigarette lighter, not the 12V accessory outlet at the bottom. The lighter is powered off of fuse #29, which is only energized in the run or accessory positions of the ignition switch.
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:04:04 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

I've had this truck for a week and didn't even notice the actual lighter (not just the power outlet). Worked like a charm.
On my 03 QC, I have the lighter, and the 12v plug. They are really the same. The lighter goes off and on with the ignition. Yours should too.