2003 Ram 1500 - How does it rate??

I just put a deposit on a 2003 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4X4 with the Magnum V8. It has 33+K miles on it. It looks to be in really good shape and drove well on the test drive. But it wasn't a real long drive. Are there
things I should look for that might deter me from buying it? Any hidden things? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff
steelers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I like mine better than any vehicle I have ever owned. The only downside is the gas milage. 11 is about the best I can get around town. The only problem I've had is that the rear differential broke. It was found when I had it in for service. Covered under warranty.
Did you get the 4.7 or the Hemi?
BDK
Thanks for the reply. I got the 4.7 Magnum V8. Wanted a Hemi but could not find one used. Too much $$$$ to buy it new. The gas mileage part doesn't bother me as much, since I'm not driving that far to and from work.
Jeff
steelers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Well, I hope it's a good one. The 4.7 engine seems to be pretty much trouble free..
BDK
Someone I used to work with syas that the rear and transmission on the Dodges were not that good. Is there anything to that or are they just being Ram Haters???
Jeff

Well, when presented with such overwhemlingly compelling evidence, how could one argue differently?
That's what I thought. I'm sticking with getting the Ram.

In all seriousness, early 4xRE transmissions had a bit of a reputation for premature failure. The '03 Ram you're looking at has a completely re-designed transmission (the 45RFE or the 545RFE), and in the 5-6 years it's been out, there have been very few complaints. As with any automatic transmission, regular fluid/filter changes will let you get the most out of it.
The rears in the older models were also known to have bearing failures but I don't know if that is still happening.
"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Thanks guys. That helps me out alot. Now I'm sure.
Jeff