2003 Ram 1500 Pickup - Replacing Condenser Fan?

I'm in the process of troubleshooting the A/C system on my 2003 Ram pickup (std cab, auto, 5.7, 130K, Texas), and suspect that the cooling fan for the condenser may be dead. I still have some fault isolation
to do, but I've already done the obvious relay-swapping with no change - it doesn't spin.
Next will be to get a DVM and check for voltage at the fan connector with A/C on, followed by supplying external voltage to the motor to see if it runs when directly connected to the battery.
Anyway, I've been reading ahead in the service manual, which instructs me to remove the entire condenser unit (opening the freon connections!) in order to replace the fan. It's hard to imagine something built to be so hard to service - any Dodge techs out there - is that how you actually do it every day, or has anyone found a decent work-around?
thanks!
Last time it was the relay, this time it's not ...
I'm in the process of troubleshooting the A/C system on my 2003 Ram pickup (std cab, auto, 5.7, 130K, Texas), and suspect that the cooling fan for the condenser may be dead. I still have some fault isolation to do, but I've already done the obvious relay-swapping with no change - it doesn't spin.
Next will be to get a DVM and check for voltage at the fan connector with A/C on, followed by supplying external voltage to the motor to see if it runs when directly connected to the battery.
Anyway, I've been reading ahead in the service manual, which instructs me to remove the entire condenser unit (opening the freon connections!) in order to replace the fan. It's hard to imagine something built to be so hard to service - any Dodge techs out there - is that how you actually do it every day, or has anyone found a decent work-around?
Martin wrote:

Have you checked the resistors that are used to control the fan speed?
JAM

Where are they located? I was not aware that the condenser fan was multi-speed. Are you confusing this with the evaporator fan?

Unfortunatly you do have to discharge the system. Take a look at the top corner where the lines hook to the condensor relative to the shroud. Personally I think it could have been done a better way but they didn't ask me...
Denny

Man, I was hoping that someone, anyone, might have devised a workaround for this problem. Amazing short-sightedness of designers! Worse than changing the thermostat on the 2001 and earlier V8s!

Jump 12 VDC to the fan connections at the radiator. If it spins it's 99.9% likely not the fan if it does not spin up then it is the fan.

Way ahead of you on that - see original post. Looking for someone who has actually pulled the fan before, without opening the sealed system.