2003 ram 2500 4x4 drive line bindage

Has any one herd of or had a problem with their rear diff feeling like its stuck in positrack all the time. i only notice a problem when i turn, it feels like my tires are fighting eachother...

Reply to
craig_

Have you ever had the gear oil changed in the rear diff ? Your positrack differential needs a special additive added to the gearlube to prevent that problem. If you have changed the gear oil but not added the special additive just add a couple of bottles to the rear axle. If the rear diff has never been serviced it is time to drain and refill using the proper oil and additive. The limited slip additive should be available from the dealer or your local auto parts store. I would put in at least 2 bottles of additive if it is acting up now.

Reply to
Mike

Not on a 2500/3500 - they use a Trac-Rite differential, which does the power transfer with gears, not clutches.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Wonder if it's in four wheel drive? My neighbor bought a 4X4 Toyota SUV. Asked me why it bound up on sharp turns. It was in four wheel drive for weeks.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

This is possible but there would be feed back in steering wheel too because the Ujoint in front axle are not constant velocity in a turn. The toyota likely had CV's in front so all they felt was it tightening up. Good point though.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

well i had it up on a life all last night trying to figure out why i feel like i have bindage and the fluid was good the rear breaks were good. but when i went to the front of the truck and spun the front right tire it noticed a clicking on every rotation. sounded something like a berring, has ony one herd of this maybe feeling like bindage or what this could be?

Reply to
craig_

Could be a hub bearing, could be the U-joint. If the noise gets worse as the steering is turned hard left or hard right, but subsides when the wheels are straight, it's the U-joint. If it's the same no matter the position of the steering, it's the hub bearing.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thank you from what you say it sounds like a hub bearing...

Reply to
craig_

Figures it would have to be the more expensive part, right?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Oh yes those bastard hubs. Dodge used a simular design in the 70's with fulltime 4x4 drive. They were a pain to work on then and now. If you tear it down to have bearing service I would replace ujoint while you are in there where it needs it or not because they are always spinning with that design. Use some aftermarket ones that are greaseable.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan