2003 Ram Hemi-Spark Plug Replacement

Page 1 of 4
Almost time for replacing spark plugs. Since their not platniums that came with the truck, and not to void the factory warranty, could I replace them
with platinum plugs? And if so which vendor would be the most beneficial? Any advice would very helpful.
You can replace them with platinum plugs from just about any vendor without voiding the warranty providing that they are the correct heat range for the engine but why would you want to do that? The general opinion in the group is that they do little if anything as far as performance and cost a hell of a lot more.
"BIGZ69Z" < snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com says...

I've never seen where the platinums are really worth it, unless maybe you have one of those cars where getting the plugs out of a couple cylinders is such torture that it's something you never want to do again.
I'm going to have to do plugs and wires next year on my 2003 hemi Ram. I've found several sets of decent spiral core wires for about half what the dealer wants for the crappy stock wires. Nice colors too. Red for me!
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Performance-Distributors-LiveWires - Spark-Plug-Wires-03-Up-Hemi-P8676C1873.aspx
BDK

Bullshit as usual. Platinum plugs wear longer, as the platinum is harder than the mild steel used in plugs. Thus it cuts down on electrica erosion and keeps the gap more accurate over a longe period of time. A set of Autolite Platinum cost little more than normal plugs.
A more accurate gap works better than worn electrodes, thus not a performance gain, but a performance edge over time. The goofy multi-electrode plugs are a waste of money, but platinum is a solid maintenance saver. I call that a significant reason to spend a few extra bucks.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm120032.htm
--
Max

Back to your childish BS again I see Maxi. If you actually bothered to read it, I did say no increase in PERFORMANCE and nothing about maintenance. Now if you follow the maintenance requirements of the vehicle as so many of you in here both suggest and demand, then the copper plugs will work perfectly. You do realize that platinum plugs do have different electrical characteristics than their copper core counterparts and at the same gap, deliver a weaker spark due to their lower resistance and their smaller electrodes increase the chance of a spark blowout. They are also not quite as strong as copper plugs, especially copper truck plugs like the Champion truck plug and may physically fail in that usage. If they were the perfect plug for all circumstances, copper plugs would no longer be made or much more difficult to find considering the advantages in maintenance of the platinum plugs for the small increase in price alone.

I'll repeat for the hard of understanding among you.....
If the gap stays more stable, its performance is better over the long run. Thus, there IS an increase in performance above non platinum tipped plugs over the long run.
(much BS snipped for brevity)
The point here is that, despite your claim, not all of us feel that platinum plugs are a waste of time and energy.
--
Max

Here comes the BS, get out the boots!!!!

LOL, unless you also take into account that there lower resistance allows the arc to form at a lower voltage at factory settings which actually can decrease performance as demonstrated by Budd's brothers car as well as my own RAM and if you follow the recommended maintenance schedule, you would be replacing the copper core plugs WAY before the change in gap would have any measurable effect so once again, you are still full of it.

IOW, anything that proves you wrong is simply deleted.

Now where did I say that ALL of you did? Oh, that's right. I didn't.

Since your Ram has the original cap and rotor, I think your voltage drop isn't happening as a result of the plugs. I'm not sure why you are jabbering about Copper core plugs, I never mentioned them.

"The general opinion in the group is that they do little if anything as far as performance and cost a hell of a lot more."
Yup, you did. You claimed a GENERAL opinion. At least two of us have said otherwise, and a third has given much more complete advice from a much more knowledgable postion than any of us. That opinion noted that different plugs work better for different applications, including platinums.
Apparently the general (all of us) opinion of the group doesn't follow your BS.
Sorta said that before.
Told ya we could see where this was going.
Do feel free to spin the hell out of it..... oh wait, you already did.
--
Max

If you had bothered to pay attention, the factory champion plugs that seem to be a favorite for these trucks are a copper core plug but even if they were not, the service schedule takes the expected life of the plug into account so my point is still valid and you are still full of it.

Yep, general opinion, not all, unless of course, you are taking us back to Maxworld where the meanings of words changes to suit your needs.

Really???? Please show me where GENERAL is defined as ALL.

As I have also said and if Platinums were the answer to all, that would be the factory plug for all vehicles, wait, I already said that.

Redefining the language does not make your point any more valid.

Of course you did. It is easy to do when you are the one spinnig it in that direction.

Once again, you accuse me of performing your actions, LOL.

You aren't getting this are you? I don't care about copper core or voltage across the gap. Why? because at 50,000v, I doubt it'll be a problem. I'm more interested in not having to pull the plugs every 10k because of soft electrodes.

Sure....
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/general
As in....Concerned with, applicable to, or affecting the whole or every member of a class or category:
Done here, move along.....
--
Max

Then you are an idiot. The voltage across the gap means EVERYTHING and if you don't care about it, why did you mention it???

Hahahahahahahahahaha, you really don't have a clue as to what a coil does or how, do you?

My factory copper core went well over 50K and the only reason that I replaced them is that they were WAY over there expected life. Funny thing is that they still were in pretty good shape and could have gone another 10K or more.

LOL, are we a class or catagory? Perhaps you should look at the definition right under that one, you know, the one that actually deals with people.
1.. Affecting or characteristic of the majority of those involved; prevalent: general discontent. Now unless you care to prove that majority means all, you are still wrong, imagine that.

Yes Max, you have been done since you started your typical whining now lets see if you hold up to even this comment.

I didn't. You did. Talking out your ass about resistance and voltages.... the stuff ignites with a spark, doesn't matter if the spark is 10v or 100,000v. You simply have to have the setup working correctly for the voltage you have. Fortunately, sparkplug designers already did the math.

Obviously, if you think 50kv is something to laugh about, you don't either.

Um.... so...... you have proven exactly why the factory plugs aren't holding up as well as the platinums. Did you meant to do that? "Hey, my plugs did fine until they were well beyond spcification". THen they didn't do too well, did they? But hey, you replaced them, and all because they were way over due... but the cap and rotor, screw that, THOSE can sitt for as long as they want, because they never go out of "spec", right?
See Tom, I'm done the factual part of the exchange, now I'm just making fun of you, waiting for you to slip... again. Then, you'll disappear for a month, and leave us in peace.

Yeah, well you categorized us as those in the newsgroup, so if you don't like ht category, stop making them and dumping us in them.

LOL, it is you who is whining and pulling every move you can to get this to NOT be a massive failure on your part. I give ya a tip: the easiest way to do that is to shut the hell up.
--
Max

Hahahahahahahahaha, you are joking, right????

That is correct to a point but that is not always possible with certian components as your buddy made clear with his brothers vehicle.

Do you really think that a factory coil is even capable of putting out 50kv? Most are more in the range of 15kv to 20kv with the GM HEI claiming 50k but that is at idle. At speeds of 3200RPM or so, that voltage drops to around 28Kv or less.

LOL, now you are trying to redefine what I am saying? Sounds like a desperate act to me.

The plugs were still fine when I removed them. Perhaps when I said that the y could have gone another 10K or more should have tipped you off to that. I bought new ones because the old ones were comming up on twice their expected lifetime and had no idea what shape they were going to be in when I removed them. Since I already had the new ones, it made no sence not to replace them since I was going to remove all of the old ones for inspection anyway. As for the cap and rotor, I had already looked at them since they are a bit easier to inspect and they both looked good. Unlike many of you, I don't waste money fixing what ain't broke.

Once again, you accuse me of your own actions and as for making fun of me, with you demonstraighted complete lack of understanding in the operations of the ignition system, the only one you are making a fool out of is yourself.

Really, where did I do that or are you just desperatly reaching again?

Once again, perhaps you should follow your own advice but we both know better. I just pull the strings and you jump to command. The strings have been pulled again, now jump for me.

Better start reading up then. MP puts the voltage at 40kv in a run of the mill mid seventies Mopar ignition system. In fact, its long been reputed to have been better than the GM HEI of the same era. Another tip you might read up on is the fact that the faster the coil field is built and collapsed, the more voltage you will get. Hint: Thats why electronic switching is so much better than mechanical (points) switching.

Why replace them if you could go further? Its the same logic you used when determining why the stock plugs were chosen.

Unlike you, we don't waste time waiting till it IS broke to fix it. Its called preventitive maintenance.

Better check again.

I already quoted the line. If you missed it, too bad.
Please reply, as I'm hanging on every word......
--
Max

LOL, yea, at what RPM? And even there, that is a MAX possible voltage, not the actual voltage. You do know that, right?

Hahahahahahahahaha, you really do make me laugh. Did you view an article on the web dealing with Faraday's Law and now think that you are an expert? In reality, you don't have a clue. Do you even know what they mean when they are talking about the coil field speed because I don't think so. Are you saying that the coil has a higher output as the engine RPM increases because that is what it sounds like and if you believe that you really are way over your head. Now please explain exactly why electronic switching is so much better than mechanical switching. While there actually are reasons, I doubt with what you said above that you really know what they are.

Nope, like I said, you don't have a clue. Since I had already bought the new ones, it made little sense to put the old ones back even though they still looked ok, especially with the difficulty in replacing some of them.

No, it's called paranoia and wasting money. If there was significant visible wear then even though the engine was running fine, it would fall under the category of preventative maintenance to replace it but when there is no significant wear or visible damage, then what is the point? Sorta like changing the oil every 1500 or 3000 miles whether it actually needs it or not.

I did and with your BS above, you still are.

I am asking where I actually did it, not one of your redefinitions of reality.

As you should be.

It's called PREVENTIVE maintenance... there ain't no such word as preventative!
Mike

You know I hate to back TBone, right?
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=preventative
According to this, it's either way.
Dammit.... grumble...

Well, if you will look in an older dictionary like my Webster's College Dictionary, copyright 1992, you will not find the word preventative. You will also note in the web link you provided that "preventative" is a variant of preventive. Preventative has been bastardized by so many people that it may finally be reaching acceptance, but it still ain't a word and is improper english. S, don't grumble just yet.
;^)
Mike

Right... but if you notice the last entry, copyright 2003 by Princeton University (what the heck do they know anyway, right? I mean... they're in Joisey) they list 'preventative' as a synonym for 'preventive'.
<in my best Cartman from South Park voice> Those damn hippies.... I hate hippies! </Cartman>
It's just a "loosing" battle, Mike. Frankly, I "could" care less about it. :)
I guess we could agree that, while listed in some dictionaries, it still makes him sound foolish. Deal?
IOW, the God of the group Mike was W R O N G for a change and wrong during a rather childish attack and now you need to cover for him. It seems that you guy's are wrong more and more lately.