2004 Dodge 1500 4wd quad cab towing

Hi All, we have Ram 1500 4wd quad cab 5.7 Hemi 3.92 axle ratio and 20 inch tires.We have been towing dry weight travel trailer that is 4500. We are now considering a dry weight trailer of 5700. We would put about
600 lbs of stuff so would be 6200. I spoke with local Dodge dealer and also call Chrysler (yep the company) to ask towing questions. The truck is rated to pull loaded trailer up to 7500. At 6200 we are well within the range. The truck has tow package and tranny cooler.It bugs my husband that even when towing the old trailer, the tranny shifts a lot. I understand it's normal but it bugs him that it is constantly shifting. ANY feedback from you guys (and gals!) out there on towing with this vehicle would be great. If he needs to quit worrying about it, PLZ say so! thanks so much! anxiousley awaiting responses. He is taking trailer for a test spin tomorrow. Tawnya-Kennewick,Wa.

quite a bit of the shifting back and forth that would have happened if I had left it on.
M2CW, Hawkeye65
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:07:26 -0400, "The Addison's"

I agree, disable OD when towing REGARDLESS of what manual says and that will save a lot of "hunting" of the gears and wear and tears too. Do that and you should be okay for you planned weight

The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

read your owners manual closely. im guessing that it probably says not to pull in overdrive, (i havent read the auto trans operation part of my 05 manual as it doesnt apply to my truck) so if you are that could be part of the shifting of the trans. also note driving habbits when hauling a load should be different than when driving empty. other than that if your 6200 is well within the limits for your configuration then enjoy the camper. you make me jelous ive been wanting to get myself a new camper for a while. just havent been able to work it into the budget yet!
--
-Chris
05 CTD
tm wrote:

Turn OD off. Failing to do so will cause a ton of back and forth shifting which if VERY hard on the transmission.
I should have stated he does turn it off. Thanks for the feedback!

First of all, a campers "dry weight" is very a confusing term. It's the weight of the trailer before *any* options were added...this includes refridgerator, stove, microwave, airconditioning, LP gas, no water etc. I'd guess that this trailer loaded with groceries, water and clothing pluse all added accessories and basics will easily top 7,500 pounds. A camper that heavy should be pulled by a 3/4 ton truck.
Don't assume when it comes to a trailers weight. Get it weighed.
Secondly, the tranny shifting alot is a bad sign. If you have towed that way "alot" it might be too late for you. Hunting between drive and overdrive is very hard on overdrive. You should have listened to him...you both should be worried.
very interesting, I didn't know it was before the appliances were added. I will be investigating this more.He does turn off overdrive.Thanks for you input!
coachmen says that the appliances are already there before it leaves the factory that they (the built in ones) are not accessories and are part of the "dry wieght" witch was exactly what i expected to hear.
--
-Chris
05 CTD
thanks again Chris, I would think the appliances would be part of it, not accessories, I haven't had the chance to approach that subject yet. Now for a chuckle: we are still new trailer shopping, last night a dealer called with his "best offer", he was giving me way way less for my trailer than the others, I told him I was being completely honest and that his price was in the range of what I have been hearing for his trailer but he was $3000 under offer for mine.Shortly thereafter he called back and said they could do the same for my trailer.GRRRRRRR! this game is getting old!
LOL i know the trade game all too well. good luck is all i can say
--
-Chris
05 CTD
so I showed them! I bought from a dealer who sells inventory on ebay motors! brand new, last years model,never owned and for are you ready??? $10,000 less than anyone around her even started at! I will pay about $2500 to have it shipped here. AFter the goodies I am having added and tax and license I am going to save about $6,000! go me! go me! I am going to purchase extended warranty and then when the manuf. warranty runs out I can take it to whoever I want for repairs. This should be our forever trailer, the ONE WE REALLY WANTED trailer so it'll be around a few years.
good for you! what did you get?
--
-Chris
05 CTD