2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Front Wheel Hub Assy.

A mechanic, after driving my truck told me that the loud roaring sound was from the right (passenger side) wheel bearing was bad and for $500 he would replace it. I bought a new hub assy for $130 and did a very easy
replacement myself. I still have the roaring sound and think that maybe it is the front left (driver side) bearing. Are front wheel hub assemblies (non front ABS) interchangeable from left to right?
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge.trucks / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

doesn't matter if they are interchangeable or not. i would do this job in pairs. if one side is bad the other is soon to follow. to me it would be like doing a brake job on only one side. since you have already done the labor on one side don't undo it just to save a couple of bucks. michael
I agree 100%.
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

See, you top-poster? Your sig cut off the entire thread below your 3-word post.
So what if the roar isn't caused by wheel bearings on either side? That's another $130 plus labor gone. Do bearings even make roaring sounds?
Beryl wrote:

Not at normal vehicle wheel hub RPMs.

Didn't on my news reader.

Then you have a bad diagnosis.

Roaring sounds Siren sounds Clicking sounds Whirring sounds Growling sounds
Sometimes all you get is an ABS warning light.
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Yabbut Mozilla's products (you know, the ones that follow standards) drop everything after they encounter the dash-dash-space.

Tell it not to do that.
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Haven't found a way. Other than copy/paste the missing quoted material.
To be clear, I'm talking about a Composition window. Everything was shown in the Reader. I clicked to Reply to the top-poster, the Composition window came up, and all that remained of the thread was "I agree 100%"
<snip>

so if the OP doesn't have a clue what is making the noise and is just swapping parts until it goes way they might as well all be new. all that money he is saving by not hiring a professional wrench should cover the price of the parts. besides, if he bought a front bearing assembly for a dodge 1500 at 136 bucks it is probably not a factory part, last time i bought front bearings for a full sized truck they were much more. but that was for a buddies ford. none of my trucks have needed bearings yet. replace tires in pairs, brakes in pairs, bearings in pairs. or do we now just put new spark plugs in every other cylinder?
hey johnny, maybe you ought to get someone to ride down the road with you and ya'll can hang your heads out both sides of the truck and see which one it is actually coming from. or you could put it on a lift and spin the tires. if it is a bad bearing you will either hear a faint grinding or feel the rough spot as you turn. sometimes a stethescope helps find noises when the vehicle is on the lift. michael
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:16:47 -0800, Beryl

Bearings do make a roaring sound!
I once had a 1972 Fiat 128SL that the bearings would go on it about every two years. The noise was so bad that to have a conversation with the passenger, you had to yell!
After I sold the POS, they had a recall, the bearing seals were leaking in the water from outside causing the bearings to rust.
I also had a 1987 Ford F150 4X4 4.9 liter inline 6 cylinder stick-shift. The front bearings on that went also, twice! Yes! They roar! Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Does your truck have one of those viscous fan clutches? Is the roar from that? It should roar for a few seconds when just starting to drive with a cold engine, but should then quit till needed (engaged).
FMB (North Mexico)
Thanks everyone. Good advice. I did ask the mechanic that said it was the right wheel bearing, if I shouldn't replace both. He said no because the other one may last another 100,000 miles. I have to agree with you all. The truck has 83,000 miles. So thats 83,000 on both front bearings. Thanks so much for the input.