2004 Durgano Headlights Hang On Occassionally

On a 2004 Durango every couple of weeks when I turn the headlights off the lights actually stay on. If I turn the switch back on and then off I hear a relay (or I think I do) and the lights go off. Is this typically a switch, a relay or some other really expensive component?

Reply to
Fred Mayfield

Neither - it sounds like a feature. Next time they stay on, wait 1-2 minutes, and I bet they go out by themselves. If you turn off the engine, and then the lights, the lights stay on to illuminate your path for a bit (say, walking from your driveway to your house). If you don't want this to happen, turn off the lights first, then the engine.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Suddenly, without warning, Fred Mayfield exclaimed (30-May-07 12:38 PM):

Might be a feature. If you turn the ignition off while the lights are on, they'll stay on when you turn them off. Turn the ignition on and off, and the lights go off.

(I know, I'm forever forgetting to turn the lights off FIRST)

If you turn the lights off before turning off the ignition, they'll go off normally.

Is this what's happening, or are the lights staying on when you turn them off BEFORE turning the ignition off.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

My 2001 Ram PU operates normally but my 2001 Chrysler LHS does the delayed thing unless I turn off the lights before the ignition.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Y'all are right .... it's a feature. Probably tells me that in the owners manual someplace. Thanks for the info and not just telling me to RTFM. ;>)

Reply to
Fred Mayfield

No problem... you're not the first to suffer from cellophanitis (the morbid fear of removing the wrapping from the owner's manual) :^)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You mean that wrapper actually comes off????? Next thing you will be saying is that the FSM is actually supposed to be removed from its shipping box.

Reply to
TBone