2005 cummins need input on getting more fuel mileage

Need all the help I can get on how to get more fuel mileage out of my

05 cummins?? It has about 5000 miles on a short block that the dealer had to put at 13000.. We are only getting 13mpg and when we put on the trailer we drop to 6mpg. If any of you can be of more help please teel me all you know . 3500 dually 4x4 6 speed Quad Cab

p.s. could use a little more power to !!!!!!

lets hear it ??????????????????

Thanks PETER

Reply to
back wood farmer

I can't speak for the Cummuns, but a K and N air filter helped my car get 3 mpg's more, other than that, I really don't know off the top of my head.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

That's the one thing the op doesn't need.

Reply to
Roy

First thing that come to mind is get some miles on it. Also there may be a couple of updates for your computor, what does the dealer say?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Short block at 13000? What happened?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Bad pump and Hole in # 2 cyl... before all that I was getting 25 mpg with atrailer on the rear..

Reply to
back wood farmer

I think you need a new calculator...no offense, but I don't believe you

Reply to
Advocate

He was going down hill, both ways :-)

Reply to
TBone

I posted this on alt.rv a few weeks ago:

"I am towing an Artic Fox 29-5 (13,500 pounds fully loaded) with a '06 Dodge

3500 Diesel,w/ DRW, 3.73 rear end, and a 6 spd manual transmission. The mileage varies from 8mpg (temperature between 30 & 50 Degrees F), to 10 mpg (temperature 60 to 70 Degrees F) at a speed of 60 to 65 mph. The truck is nearly new with 9800 miles."

and got several replies: suggesting that I go slower, and wait until I get more miles on the motor. The electronic mpg display is up to 15% off when driving without towing. I am keeping track of the milage under different conditions and taking it back to the dealer. It appears that the inlet air temperature sensor might be bad, don't know.

JRB

Reply to
JRB

Do you think that could be because the intake system makes more noise now, you don't stick your foot down as far?

At part throttle, the air filter, even a stock paper one, does not restrict flow, nor does a K$N give more flow than the engine demands.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

If he is using a K&N replacement filter, there will be no increase in noise and while the complete kit does sound different than stock but if he has a diesel you probably wouldn't be able to hear it over the noise of the engine. My buddy has one on his Ford (full induction kit) and you can't hear anything different.

All filters and intake systems restrict flow (including the K&N), it is just a matter of how much and if there is enough of a difference in an after market system to change performance.

Reply to
TBone

When I replaced my stock air box with an AFE cone filter, the turbo noise was definately more pronounced.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Fair enough, I guess it depends on the kit.

Reply to
TBone

What kind of reply is this ??? When I log on to get input from you guys I give you all the info I have and the MPG before I broke down is right on the money.. I know I pay the FUEL bill..

Please I need some more HELP.... On the trouble that this Engine is giving me ...

Thank you for your time

PETER

Reply to
back wood farmer

How are we supposed to know what replay you are talking about when you don't include it.

Reply to
TBone

Friend,

I'm sorry to say it, but you are screwed. No cummins gets that crappy of fuel economy unless something is WRONG. I'd sale it and buy an older 12v model. None of the GD electronics. If God wanted electronics on a diesel he'd have built one himself. Point that no one can argue with...

**THE GRAVITY LIKE RELIABILITY OF DIESELS HAS ALWAYS COME FROM THEIR SIMPLE IGNITION AND MECHANICAL FUEL DELIVERY**

Adding electronics only throws in a couple of weak links that will bite you in the a$$ when you least need it.

I've a 1998 12V that humms like a mother. It only needs oil, coolant and fuel and never misses a beat. It also gets the same, if not better I'm convinced, fuel mileage. I get 23mpg/55mph and 22mpg/62mph. Durajokes and Powerjerks can have their crappy electronics and multivalves. I'll stick with ole' faithful!

Randolf

Reply to
randolf_scott

I have read that a bad lift pump will do this. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it for a few days and see if the pressure is low or erratic. The guy who wrote about it had a brand new truck running 0-4 psi or so instead of 7 psi. He also had low power. He had the lift pump replaced and his mileage returned to normal (14-16 mpg and 10mpg loaded). I read your reply posts stating that you have a new engine due to a fuel pump. Could that old bad lift pump have harmed your high pressure pump ( the expensive one) or your injectors? If your dealer can't help you, try a new dealer. 6mpg is too low for a heathly engine.

Reply to
Van

See my other serious reply to your first post. About your 25mpg loaded and now getting 6 mpg with the same trailer, I would put a locking gas cap on it to stop your neighbors from messing with you by secretly adding fuel last month and now removing fuel this month. Diesel owners are fun guys. I could have you up to 40mpg in no time :)

P.S. I get 16-18mpg unloaded and 14mpg towing a 8,000 lbs gooseneck horse trailer at 75mph with my 2005 3/4 ton CTD.

Reply to
Van

Keep bugging the dealer be nice & try to get them to have a regional supervisor or what ever they call it to help you get it fixed

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

All filters and intake systems restrict flow (including the K&N), it is just a matter of how much and if there is enough of a difference in an after market system to change performance.

Note that K&N should not be used on a dodge desiel, as studies show that that model does not filter well enough. It lets too many large particles through. There are other high flow filters that do a much better job.

Reply to
BoomTown