2005 dodge durango tires

Hi, I purchased a new dodge durango, it drives great except it pulled to the left and still does, chrysler says they will fix it, good luck, anyway getting to the tire issue, we have goodyear wranglers on it. At
first when the snow started we thought the 4wheel drive wasn't working but after bringing it in for repairs we found that it may be that its a tire issue. I have searched several groups and found that the Bridgestone dueler at revo tire may be a good idea to buy but I need more info first before I spend 7 hundred bucks + on new tires on a new truck! does anyone have some serious mileage on these tires or a better suggestion, I live in Michigan where the summer is like Florida and the winter can be like Siberia. so is this a case of changing tires from winter to summer? any help would be appreciated! Thanks Russ
Russ wrote:

The Durango is in AWD full time. If yours has the ability to switch to 4x4 locked then you'd notice if it wasn't engaging.
The stock tires on my 2004 were horrible in the snow. They worked ok if the snow was rather dry and fluffy. If it was a heavy wet snow which is the norm in the east (compared with west) then the Goodyears would pack solid and become ice wheels.
I purchased Michelin Cross Terrains and love them. They stick with ease in the snow. No more sliding all over. On other vehicles I've used the Michelin LTX M/S with great success but they do not make them in the right size for the Durango. The Cross Terrains aren't cheap but they stick and they last so for me they are well worth every penny. Costco had the best price here.
miles wrote:

I agree. The stock tires on my '04 Durango were terrible on rain, snow and ice. Before replacing them, with 95% of their tread remaining, a friend recommended having them Siped. I had never heard of the process, but my local national tire chain store had the machine to do it. Basically, it involves cutting tiny grooves in the tread with a sidewall-to-sidewall orientation. IIRC, it was about $80 for 4 tires.
This was my first experience with the process, and so far I *think* it resulted in a major improvement in traction. Anyone else here have an opinion on Siping?

Siping works great for increasing traction, especially in snow and ice. The tread will wear a little faster tho.
Denny

Yup, the more edges for grip the better. Take a look at a Bilzzak, there are edges and sipes all over the tire.
I'd almost think that if you were to sipe a tire you might want to consider it dedicated and buy a set for warm weather.
Roy

Roy wrote:

I was told that very small (1/32" wide or so) cross cuts help greatly in the snow. As your drive the rubber flexes around these cuts preventing them from packing up with snow/ice. I have no idea about the mechanics of it all but every tire I've ever owned that has these cuts has gripped snow very well.

The last set of Blizzaks I had were cut all over the place. The blocks had tiny cuts in them. Actually the blocks themselves were about a inch square, you could move them or bend them with you finger. But they wore when it was warm out. A sharp turn in a parking lot would leave a mark from the front tires. But for snow and ice, I've not used a tire that was as good as the Blizzak. But the damn things are pricey. Then again, you in this case, get what you pay for imo.

I have a set of Revos on my truck that I use around the farm and plowing snow. I probably only have maybe 10,000 miles on the tires but so far they are doing great. No problems with traction when plowing. Only time they spin with when I'm on ice and then everything will spin. They are not a great mud tire but work ok in the dirt. Noise on dry pavement is not objectionable.
A couple of guys that I work with have 30-40K on theirs and still have good tread showing.
Denny

And ya can put a lot of weight on them. Especially the driver's side.<VBG>
Roy

Do the letters F O mean anything to you???? <BG>
Denny
Russ wrote:

I'm using a set of Michelin LTX M/S. Best all around tire I'v ever used. My truck has never been stuck in the snow. I'v been through some pretty nasty weather on these tires, and they perform like tracks. Well, maybe not that good, but pretty impressive anyway. I'v god 45K miles on them now, with plenty of tread left.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Russ wrote:

Hey Russ, I would not go with the Revo.....(Also not a Good-for-one-Year fan. .) They are ok in the snow when new. but get real crappy fast. If you can get a firestone destination AT or even a Kelly Springfield Trex. Nice tires. I run the Firestone AT on my Dodge and love-em.. From Wisconsin

Go to tire rack, buy a set of Blizzaks and 4 steel wheels. They come mounted and balanced. For under $700. Keep your oem tires and wheels for summer.

You ar probably the first person that I have heard in a long time that likes firestone. Glad that they are working for you.