2005 Dodge Ram 4.7L questions

I have the 4.7L v8 in my truck, I put the drop in K&N air filter on my truck. I also installed the Airaid TB spacer as well on the same day. When you install these two products together, you can definitely feel the difference in acceleration, a lot quicker. My question is, what else can I do to get more power out of the truck and make it quicker, without voiding the factory warranty. I know there is the Jet Performance chip, anyone ever used this? My dodge dealer said I could install the chip without voiding the warranty, the only draw back is not knowing what kind of power I would get out of it and also having to use mid-grade gasoline. Also Gibson headers, the make a set to fit the

4.7L for my truck. Performance gains claim to be 15-20 HP, 26 FT LB/TQ. Has anyone installed the Gibson headers on the 4.7L? I read that installing headers on a vehicle will not void any factory warranty according to different websites, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply to
mrgriffith03

The "problem" with new vehicles is that the factory engineers are pretty smart, and have already done the easy stuff. 20-30 years ago, it was pretty easy to make dramatic improvements in vehicle performance with a few simple changes. Not so anymore. The improved air intake/filter is a good first step. The factory doesn't do this because they also have to meet noise restrictions. You may have noticed that your new air intake is noisier than stock. The throttle body spacer is probably a waste of money. Try removing it and see if you notice the difference. Reprogramming the computer should be your next step. That really is the best bang for the buck. I used Hypertech, but I've heard a lot of good things about Jet as well. Do this before doing anything else. Headers will make almost no improvement below about 4,000 rpm's. The factory exhaust is quite good. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Lots of expense, pain in the behind, and very little improvement. Same with a cat back system. Sounds better, but no power increase to speak of. If you want better pick up and towing capacity, consider changing your rear gear ratio. As for the factory warranty, refer to the Moss-Magnusen warranty act. Essentially, it says that if you make changes, you are responsible for those changes. But if something else fails, the warranty is still valid. For example, if you add headers and cat back exhaust (emissions legal), and you break a valve spring and trash the motor, the warranty is still in effect for that trauma. The entire act is available on line.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
mrgriffith03

The power gain for a K&N in more a state of mind than anything.The little flow increase is obtained with less filtration as is well documented in some ISO test on line. Modern engines are well tuned on intake and exhaust from day one and if power gain where if fact that easy, they would come that way. On the headers, you will loose low end torque and responce and MPG in town too. If you want a real boost that you can feel in the seat of your pants, regear the trucks axle one step deeper. You lack displacement to make any serious torque but deeper gears can bring it to life and let you better use the power you have and contray to popular belif it will not hurt MPG with OD tranny and city MPG will likely improve because you will get off of power wasting stall of torque converter sooner.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

As far as the warranty goes: If the modification causes a failure, then the warranty does not cover it. Dealerships can find ways to say that a modification voids the warranty. Especially with an aftermarket computer chip. If you want my opnion, I would leave the truck alone; and buy an old beater truck to rebuild and modify. You will have no warranty worries. There will be more parts available, and for a cheaper price. If your truck is your daily driver, then you won't have to worry about be stranded or running out of time. Another thing is that older vehicles can for the most part be more simple to modify. The thing I don't like about modern vehicles, is that it seems I can't fit my hands into some places. Sometimes to get to things, you have to take apart too many things to get to what you are fixing/modifying.

Reply to
Xclimation

well.........that will gain you back some of those brownie points from folks around here. :)

Reply to
theguy

I lace K& N filter in there with snake oil. People want to believe there is a silver bullet here and K&N plays on it. Check out link below. It is on a Dmax but it show what a K&N does in a high demand environment.

SnoMan

Yes, sell it and get a diesel

Reply to
GeekBoy