[SOLVED] 2005 Ram 1500 Ashtray Door Wont Stay Closed (2023 Update)

Does anyone know what actually keeps the ashtray closed on this model? I use the tray for a change holder and yesterday it opened on its own and now it wont stay closed. I cant seem to find any locking mechanism on it so I dont know what the problem could be. Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Reply to
Jethro

This is what happened to me. It is hard to explain. I took out the tray (removable part), then the part that hold the removable part. There was a few coins stuck under there. I took the coins out, then put everything back together again, and the ashtray closed. I know this post sounds illiterate, but it is the best I can explain it.

Reply to
Xclimation

Take the ashtray out and remove the coins under it that are making the door stay open..It's happened to about everyone..

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Jethro wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My 2003 won't stay closed,either.

Reply to
Marina

I had the same thing happen on my 98 ram I some how the metal clip came up missing so I bought some self adhesive HD velcro form Mc Master-Carr. It has been working well ever since. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

The visible coins are part of the problem and an easy fix, coins that have slid through the slot in the ashtray door and are invisible is the rest of the story.

In case anyone else looks here for a solution: My 05 Ram ashtray door has repeated this non latching behavior 3 or 4 times over the years. Each time the culprit has been loose change . First let's set the terminology, the removable tray that holds ashes or coins well call the ashtray. The articulating cubby that holds the ashtray we'll call the door. Step one: remove the ashtray by lifting up and out, then set it aside. Look in the bottom of the door and you will see a slot that allows coins to migrate into the abyss below the door. Enough coins in there and instant latching problems. I bent some wire and fished around in there and really couldn't tell if there were coins this time. Enter: compressed air! As soon as I shot air behind the door it was obvious I had coins in there ... lots of em. Fishing into the abyss through the interior door slot was fruitless so I kept at it with compressed air sending blasts from the top down behind the door and through the gaps outside of the door down low towards the hinge point. My goal was to move the coins where I can see them through the interior door slot and pick them out with a curved pick or wire. As I continually shot air into the lower positions I was focused on seeing coins through the slot when a quarter actually flew out of the abyss through the opening above the door! I kept at it for another few minutes and blew 3 more quarters and some pennies out of there. Case solved! Door latches perfectly again.

Reply to
HEMINOW