2006 2500 Axle Identification

Hi - Just bought a used 2006 RAM 2500 4x4. I am not sure what axle is in the truck and was wondering if anyone out there can identify it from the VIN (below). I know there's no LSD but I'm wondering what
LSD/locker options I have but I'm not sure which axle it is and what ratio. This is the gas engine, not the CTD.
Many thanks in advance!
1D7KS28D96J219456

You've got the AAM 10.5" rear axle. Can't tell the ratio from the VIN - it may be stamped on a tag on the rear differential cover.
To guestimate your axle ratio, lock out overdrive, or if it's a manual, run it in 5th gear, at 60MPH, and note your RPMs.
Calculate the diameter of your tires as such:
If you have a 245/75R17, take the width (in this case, 245mm) and divide it by 25.4 (converts to inches). Multiply by the aspect ratio (75 in this case, so multiply by .75). Double the number, then add the rim diameter (17"). So, 245/25.4*.75*2+17 is 31.46. Multiply by Pi (3.1416) to calculate the circumference - in this case, 98.86". Divide 63360 (number of inches in a mile) by your tire circumference - getting 640.9. That's your axle RPM at 60MPH (1 mile per minute).
Divide your engine RPMs at 60MPH (when the transmission is in 1:1 ratio) by your axle RPMs, and you'll have your axle gear ratio.
If you're turning 2400RPM at 60MPH, that's a 3.74 ratio. The closest gear ratio offered is a 3.73, so that would be your gearset.
On Thu, 10 May 2007 03:15:20 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

A sinpler way it to jack up one rear tire and rotate it one turn and count drive shaft revs and multiply by two and you have axle ratio. If it is a 4x4 you can do it with front axle because it is never disconneted from differentail and there is no LSD up front to interfer with this. One more thing, just for the record, the 10.5 AAM used in that dodge is not to be confused with a 10.5 AAM that GM uses and has for many years as none of the parts interchange (GM uses a older and sturdier straddle mount pinion design and Dodge's AAM does not. Both Dodge and GM do use the same 11.5 AAM axle in 8.1, Dmax and CTD trucks. GM since 2001 and Dodge since around 2003. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

An even more sinpler way might be to raise the hood and look up for a sticker. My '99 has one there that lists all the "hardware" specifics. I don't think they'd do away with something that convenient no matter what the manufacturer's cost saving might be.
--
Ken

On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:40:14 -0400, Nosey wrote:

your way is just too easy Ken...sorry (not to mention it takes like 3 seconds and is completely accurate) *big grin*
SnoMan's way just has me getting too dirty, as i have to dig around and get the jack out, get down on the ground and count drive shaft rotations while i turn a wheel and you know how nasty tires get your hands. (did i mention being on the ground? in the dirt?)
now, Tom's way...well its a lot of math, but lets face it...that's just a cool formula, I can take my rpm number on the way to town, work, just cruising around (who can afford that anymore?) or what ever. then next time I'm here at the desk.....punch away on a calculator (I'd use the one on the computer as i can never find my calculator on the desk, i have 3)
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote: 8><----

Calculators and a computer? I thought you worked at a mill.
--
Ken

On Thu, 10 May 2007 05:10:20 -0400, Nosey wrote:

LOL i do.
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote:

Ah ... that must mean that you're the HNIC.
:-) Craig C.
On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:50:42 -0400, Chris Thompson

Not sure where you drive but my tires are not nasty and yours are likely not either unless you just drove through mud or oil and such. As far as a jack, if you work on your car from time to time you should have a extra jack or two around so not need to get yours out. You can simply lay on a rug or such and stay clean too. It can be done start to finish in maybe 5 minutes tops and is very accurate and in some ways more accurate than option codes because I have seen a few that were wrong a few times though it is rare. The speedo formula way it prone to maybe error to because of speedo errors as I have seen them off 10% and more which would through off axle ratio but then you could use GPS to verify true speed and then a OBD2 scanner to varify RPM too or just us my method if a label is lacking and be done with it while others are still trying to do the math and check the accuracy. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:40:14 -0400, "Nosey"

lol.

Well, I just checked my '03.... nothing under the hood. However, there's this nice little sticker on the inside of the glove compartment door, and one of the lines reads, "Axle Ratio - 3.73".
Hmmm....
Well....
Errr....
Ummm....
At least you can use my method to confirm the veracity of the info. printed on that sticker :)
-Tom (Who frequently chooses to do things the harder way)
On May 10, 7:34 am, "Tom Lawrence"

I just bought a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and thought the axle ration would be in the glove box too! But not for 2006. My salesman told me that if the window sticker doesn't show 4.10 axle ratio, it is by default the 3.73. Just to be sure I sent an email to Dodge with the VIN and they informed me that I had the 3.73 LSD.
Cliff

Ok - now that sounds easier. Did you email your dealer or Dodge customer support? If customer support, do you happen to have that email address around?

I did it from home email account. I'll try to remember to check the email address when I get home tonight. But it was through the Dodge Website, under the "For Owners" section. Very quick and friendly response.

Thanks - I'm headed there now!

I'm sure you're already set but just in case, here is the email address:
snipped-for-privacy@daimlerchrysler.com
My 2003 had that too - I see a little adhesive left that shows me it used ot be there!
I'll try the math way - thanks all of you for your responses!
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:34:01 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

Nosey wrote:

LOL! Nosey's heart is swelling with pride.
--
Make friends with a few animals. Then you will become a cheerful man
once more and nothing will be able to trouble you. -- Albert Einstein