2006 2500 MegaCab 5.9L Cummins loses power

A week or 2 ago my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab with the Cummins 5.9L and 6 speed manual started to cough and lose power/RPMs and lots of white smoke (or smoke looking substance like water vapor) came out. (It had an unknown percentage of bio-diesel in it -- small repeated fillups of various percents of bio with intermittentent straight dino diesel -- truck is 4 months old but only had 600-700 miles on it. This coughing and loss of power lasted a few minutes and then it seemed to work fine for a while. Then it happened again. I added 10 gallons of dino diesel and was able to drive home 4 miles without incident. Next day went out and had similar episodes. When it drives fine there is no smoke. When it starts to cough and lag and power loss occurs lots of white smoke comes out. A ton of it.

I drained the water filter a few times thinking that maybe there was a high water content in the fuel. I also added some Power Service additive that is supposed to displace water.

I was able to drive 50-70 miles without incident when it started again tonight. It would idle fine but when I pushed the accelerator it was like there was a regulator on it. It would rev up a little and then just totally lose power. I added another 7 or so gallons of dino tonight and some more Power Service additive. We are now up close to

800 miles on the odometer. I went and got some Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat, which claims to eliminate water, and added some of that. After that I was able to drive 5 or 6 miles when it started to happen again but the symptoms are now a lot less severe. I don't see as much smoke or any when it "power losses" and it does not lose as much power, though it is still very noticable. It is like a governor is on the engine. It will idle and I can slowly increase the throttle and then between 1800 and 2500 (not always at the same point) the power loss happens and the rpms will drop. I was able to keep it going at up to 2000 rpm without loss sometimes but then get above that and it happens.

Any ideas? I started to think that maybe the fuel filter was getting clogged and it was allowing enough fuel through for lower power use but as the throttle is increased it cannot get enough fuel to the engine. But everything is new and there should not be all sorts of deposits to come loose and clog the filter...

Thanks Chad

Reply to
chad

Take it to the dealer, don't mess with a truck under warranty.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Change the fuel filter! While your at it buy a couple of them, sounds like you will be needing them. I'd stop putting anything else in the tank other than diesel. Actually I'd be inclined to drain the tank. I also would not go to the dealer unless you are darn sure you are covered due to the bio you added.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

i may be mistaken but i thought that bio blends up to 20% were considered acceptable by Dodge and Cummins engine company on 06 and later models.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I think my book says 5%. I'm not gonna burn it at all. Not until everyone else is finished burning up their engines.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

You are probably very well correct. My thought is he has "unknown percantages of bio" different amounts of two.different additives and diesel. A fuel sample may be the last thing he needs dc to do, knowing how friendly they are to warranrty claims. I figure it is easier to dump the tank, fill with diesel and see what happens. If it continues then go to dc without all the other crap in the tank. Sorta avoid what could be a bunch of bs imho.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Or ... you can get from a reputable source and actually do something positive for your country.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

B20 is considered acceptable by Cummins for 2007+ models, last I read. I run B20 in my 2004 and get outstanding results. Like:

1) Less noise. 2) Richer Americans. 3) Poorer Arabs. 4) Cleaner Air. 5) Good feeling from knowing that I'm using a renewable energy source (at least 20% of it).

It's the future of diesel, ladies.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

For you ladies maybe, I'll burn Uranium if I can get away with it.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Where did you purchase the bio?

What is the source of the bio? (i.e. Soybean, used vegetable fry oil, etc.)

You're thinking correctly, if the truck was older, the bio maybe freeing deposits left by dino diesel and clogging the filter. However, being fairly new, that is unlikely the cause.

My *guess*, without knowing more, is that you are consistently getting poor fuel or as Roy stated, your fuel filter needs replacing.

I would start with replacing the fuel filter and burning 2-3 tanks from a good, known source. Usually diesel from truck stops is fairly safe since you know that the diesel has not been sitting for months.

If you prefer bio, like I do (for many, many reasons), I wouldn't burn any B100. Stick with B20 for at least a few more months until some of the big boys start embracing B100.

I fill up with B20 from Loves Truck Stop. It is made from soybean oil and is the safest out there. I've never had a problem.

Don't give in to the scare tactics of some people in this ng about bio-diesel. Stick with reputable B20 and your truck will run the same, if not better.

BTW, not to put a feather in my own hat, but I am pursuing a phd. Alternative Energy is my field of study. So, I'm not talking out my ass ... I've actually done some research on bio-diesel.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Hmmmmm.. wearing feather's in your hat? Ah, what else do ya wear with your feathered hat?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

agreed.

as a side note: ive still had no complaints about the b20 in either truck myself.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Wingtips and my pimp coat.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

feathered hat?Wingtips and my pimp coat.

What next, you going pimp out the ride with some dingle balls and crushed velour? LOL

Reply to
azwiley1

Nah ... I'm going to lower it and put 26 inch rims on it. Oh ... and I'm going to start wearing my blue jeans with the crotch at my knees.

This morning I saw a kid with blue jeans worn as I described above trying to run up steps. That's one of those memories that will make me laugh when all else has gone to shit.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

velour? LOLNah ... I'm going to lower it and put 26 inch rims on it. Oh ... and

Hell you need to get hydralics on it then!

Reply to
azwiley1

I make and burn my own biodiesel without any trouble but I don't burn B100 in the winter because the low temps cause the biodiesel to jell up. I think that might be happening to you. The different feedstocks that biodiesel is made from affects the jell temperature of the fuel. I know of at least one commercial biodiesel producer that uses poultry fat to make their biodiesel. It has a fairly high cloud point. The cloud point of biodiesel could be as low as 20°F or as high as 40°F. I'd pull a fuel sample from the water drain on the fuel filter, put a thermometer in it, and put it in the freezer. Check it about every 10 minutes and see what temperature the fuel is when it starts to look cloudy. If the cloud point is above the normal low temperatures you see you need to mix your biodiesel with kerosene or #2 diesel fuel to get the cloud point lower.

Reply to
Nosey

nawww the in thing ive been seeing is the air suspension...drop the body all the way to the ground when you park, then pump it all the way up before you drive off. make sure those shocks only see the 2 extreemes.

couple kids round town here have their trucks done like that. first time i heard them drop em to the ground i thought a air hose had blown off a big compressor.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thanks for the replies. I will report back shortly on my efforts.

I am still thinking along the lines of some fuel gone bad. I don't think the fuel was bad out of the tank -- been fueling there for a while and never had issues and they seem to sell a lot. Also, the truck was running fine on the same fuel a while back, but the truck was not being driven a lot so the same tank of fuel had been in the tank for several weeks. We got a bunch of wet and cold weather a few weeks ago, starting soon before this started, and I think the fuel just "attracted" the moisture.

The bio in there is from a reputable dealer that most of the bio drivers here (SLC UT area) use. The tank had been 100% full with dino diesel and then over time small 3 to 9 or 10 gallon fillups of various things (some B100 in small amounts, some B50, and some dino diesel) were added as I was trying to keep the tank full to remove available surface area for condensation to happen and just because I like to keep the tank pretty full. The current bio % is probably between 10 and 30 right now. I have all the fueling receipts since purchase and should sit down and caluclate it :-)

I am going to change the fuel filter and see what happens and report back.

Thanks Chad

Reply to
chad

Ok, with a new fuel filter we seem to be good to go. Went about 65 miles tonight, mostly highway, after the change without issue.

Old filter was gummy looking with gelled fuel or something and/or maybe some ice looking stuff. Must of gotten gummed up before I stuck the additives in.

I'll run a tank or two through it and change it again to see and to put a real Stratopore filter in (this was some other brand [Luber Finer] I could find on the weekend at a local parts store since the Cummins people were not close and the long weekend coming up).

We'll see how this works longer term but I think the problem was the filter getting gummed up. Probably as I had not added much anti-gel stuff and we had a few really cold days and I am not sure what the bio percentage was since it was several small 3-10 gallon adds of various B% and a little straight dino diesel added to a tank of dino diesel...

Thanks all Chad

Reply to
chad