2006 2500 MegaCab 5.9L Cummins loses power

Page 1 of 2
A week or 2 ago my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab with the Cummins 5.9L and 6 speed manual started to cough and lose power/RPMs and lots of white smoke (or smoke looking substance like water vapor) came out.
(It had an unknown percentage of bio-diesel in it -- small repeated fillups of various percents of bio with intermittentent straight dino diesel -- truck is 4 months old but only had 600-700 miles on it. This coughing and loss of power lasted a few minutes and then it seemed to work fine for a while. Then it happened again. I added 10 gallons of dino diesel and was able to drive home 4 miles without incident. Next day went out and had similar episodes. When it drives fine there is no smoke. When it starts to cough and lag and power loss occurs lots of white smoke comes out. A ton of it.
I drained the water filter a few times thinking that maybe there was a high water content in the fuel. I also added some Power Service additive that is supposed to displace water.
I was able to drive 50-70 miles without incident when it started again tonight. It would idle fine but when I pushed the accelerator it was like there was a regulator on it. It would rev up a little and then just totally lose power. I added another 7 or so gallons of dino tonight and some more Power Service additive. We are now up close to 800 miles on the odometer. I went and got some Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat, which claims to eliminate water, and added some of that. After that I was able to drive 5 or 6 miles when it started to happen again but the symptoms are now a lot less severe. I don't see as much smoke or any when it "power losses" and it does not lose as much power, though it is still very noticable. It is like a governor is on the engine. It will idle and I can slowly increase the throttle and then between 1800 and 2500 (not always at the same point) the power loss happens and the rpms will drop. I was able to keep it going at up to 2000 rpm without loss sometimes but then get above that and it happens.
Any ideas? I started to think that maybe the fuel filter was getting clogged and it was allowing enough fuel through for lower power use but as the throttle is increased it cannot get enough fuel to the engine. But everything is new and there should not be all sorts of deposits to come loose and clog the filter...
Thanks Chad

------MoParMaN------

---Signature Pending Yet Another Assine Comment by MIANDERSON---

Change the fuel filter! While your at it buy a couple of them, sounds like you will be needing them. I'd stop putting anything else in the tank other than diesel. Actually I'd be inclined to drain the tank. I also would not go to the dealer unless you are darn sure you are covered due to the bio you added.
Roy

i may be mistaken but i thought that bio blends up to 20% were considered acceptable by Dodge and Cummins engine company on 06 and later models.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

I'm not gonna burn it at all. Not until everyone else is finished burning up their engines.
--
------MoParMaN------

---Signature Pending Yet Another Assine Comment by MIANDERSON---
Scott Hendryx wrote:

Or ... you can get from a reputable source and actually do something positive for your country.
Craig C.

You are probably very well correct. My thought is he has "unknown percantages of bio" different amounts of two.different additives and diesel. A fuel sample may be the last thing he needs dc to do, knowing how friendly they are to warranrty claims. I figure it is easier to dump the tank, fill with diesel and see what happens. If it continues then go to dc without all the other crap in the tank. Sorta avoid what could be a bunch of bs imho.
Roy

agreed.
as a side note: ive still had no complaints about the b20 in either truck myself.
--
----------------------------
-Chris
Chris Thompson wrote:

B20 is considered acceptable by Cummins for 2007+ models, last I read. I run B20 in my 2004 and get outstanding results. Like:
1) Less noise. 2) Richer Americans. 3) Poorer Arabs. 4) Cleaner Air. 5) Good feeling from knowing that I'm using a renewable energy source (at least 20% of it).
It's the future of diesel, ladies.
:-) Craig C.

------MoParMaN------

---Signature Pending Yet Another Assine Comment by MIANDERSON---
snipped-for-privacy@pengar.com wrote:

Where did you purchase the bio?
What is the source of the bio? (i.e. Soybean, used vegetable fry oil, etc.)

You're thinking correctly, if the truck was older, the bio maybe freeing deposits left by dino diesel and clogging the filter. However, being fairly new, that is unlikely the cause.
My *guess*, without knowing more, is that you are consistently getting poor fuel or as Roy stated, your fuel filter needs replacing.
I would start with replacing the fuel filter and burning 2-3 tanks from a good, known source. Usually diesel from truck stops is fairly safe since you know that the diesel has not been sitting for months.
If you prefer bio, like I do (for many, many reasons), I wouldn't burn any B100. Stick with B20 for at least a few more months until some of the big boys start embracing B100.
I fill up with B20 from Loves Truck Stop. It is made from soybean oil and is the safest out there. I've never had a problem.
Don't give in to the scare tactics of some people in this ng about bio-diesel. Stick with reputable B20 and your truck will run the same, if not better.
BTW, not to put a feather in my own hat, but I am pursuing a phd. Alternative Energy is my field of study. So, I'm not talking out my ass ... I've actually done some research on bio-diesel.
Craig C.

Hmmmmm.. wearing feather's in your hat? Ah, what else do ya wear with your feathered hat?
<BFG>
Roy

Wingtips and my pimp coat.
:-) Craig C.

What next, you going pimp out the ride with some dingle balls and crushed velour? LOL

Nah ... I'm going to lower it and put 26 inch rims on it. Oh ... and I'm going to start wearing my blue jeans with the crotch at my knees.
This morning I saw a kid with blue jeans worn as I described above trying to run up steps. That's one of those memories that will make me laugh when all else has gone to shit.
:-) Craig C.

Hell you need to get hydralics on it then!

the way to the ground when you park, then pump it all the way up before you drive off. make sure those shocks only see the 2 extreemes.
couple kids round town here have their trucks done like that. first time i heard them drop em to the ground i thought a air hose had blown off a big compressor.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

------MoParMaN------

---Signature Pending Yet Another Assine Comment by MIANDERSON---
On Jan 1, 3:11 pm, "Scott Hendryx"

Poor Scott ... your ignorance was exposed, so now you resort to gay jokes. Pathetic redneck.
Don't you have people in the RV group to irritate?
Craig C.
snipped-for-privacy@pengar.com wrote:

I make and burn my own biodiesel without any trouble but I don't burn B100 in the winter because the low temps cause the biodiesel to jell up. I think that might be happening to you. The different feedstocks that biodiesel is made from affects the jell temperature of the fuel. I know of at least one commercial biodiesel producer that uses poultry fat to make their biodiesel. It has a fairly high cloud point. The cloud point of biodiesel could be as low as 20F or as high as 40F. I'd pull a fuel sample from the water drain on the fuel filter, put a thermometer in it, and put it in the freezer. Check it about every 10 minutes and see what temperature the fuel is when it starts to look cloudy. If the cloud point is above the normal low temperatures you see you need to mix your biodiesel with kerosene or #2 diesel fuel to get the cloud point lower.
--
Ken