2006 2500 turbo diesel auto trans vibration

Hi all,

I just went out to test drive a 2500 with the turbo cummins and the auto trans. I noticed a vibration out of the transmission when first starting out from a stop. Is this normal?

I think its the tranny slipping the first gear.... Having had an old 70 challenger with the big trans, slipping the first gear always lead to early rebuilds of the clutch pack....

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
Jeff Banta

Having once owned a '95 CTD that went through transmissions faster than it did tires...I'd say that it still sounds like Dodge (contrary to what many claim) still cannot make a reliable tranny with the Cummins.

Reply to
Advocate

Ummmmmmmmmm, I'd say you're wrong and it depends on use and care.........my

Reply to
DonStaples

Gee, do ya think things might have changed in 11 years?? They have. My 05 has been trouble free with the exception of a drone at 65mph that was fixed.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Most likely what you felt was driveline shudder. This was a longbed? Some have had problems with this, requiring a shim above the carrier bearing. It's a simple fix, and one the service department is (or should be) aware of.

Try it in reverse. If you feel the same vibration, it's probably not the transmission, as different clutches are used for 1st (rear clutch) and reverse (front clutch).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

And I'd say you better find some facts to back your opinion.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Was that the "loosen the engine and tranny mounts, drive it, then re-tighten" fix?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yup, that was the one. Found it buried on the TDR. Gotta do it at idle, about 100 feet each way, leave it in neutral and torque to spec's. Dealer had already done all the stuff recommended by DC, such as balancing drive shafts. Went so far as swapping shafts out of new truck with no drone. No joy. They never heard of the "loosen" deal but now have used it on a couple of trucks and it cured the problem. Of course it doesn't get it every time. ymmv

I remember seeing it used on a couple of motorcycles years ago.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

My 95 (witch I bought in June 05) had 198655 miles on the original Trans, the clutches just disintegrated.

Reply to
krenelka

This was a Mega Cab 2500 short bed 2x4..... Didn't notice it when in reverse...

Thanks,

Reply to
Jeff Banta

Okay - I would still suspect a driveshaft vibration. That truck, like the QC long beds, use a two-piece driveshaft. There's a TSB out on that, and as I said, is a very simple fix.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence