2006 Dakota 3.7L V6 powertrain noise

My 6-speed manual trans. Dakota makes a chattering- noise when the motor is lugging. The dealer confirmed the noise is there but does not know what is causing it.
A similar truck on the dealer's lot has the same noise, only louder, and therefore they conclude the noise is normal. A Chrysler rep. told the dealer they are not aware of a problem. Everyone who rides in my truck asks me what is wrong with the motor.
I would like to hear from other 3.7 V6 owners who have (or do not have) noise like this. You can reach me off-list at jackf at earthlink dot com, if you wish. Thanks for your help.
Ever consider not lugging the engine? I don't believe they were designed to be run that way. My 1500 will "rumble" some if I lug it down, (5 spd manual), so I try not to do that. The power band is somewhat high in my 4.7, and probably in your 3.7 also. HD

engine is very bad.
if im not mistaken the 05 manual specifically states not to lug the engine.

What means "LUGGING" an engine? Is something like use the engine to stop the truck, with a lower gear?
CLT.
Advocate wrote:

CLT wrote:

Lugging the engine is when you are in a gear that is too high for your speed, (engine rpm is too low). Trying to accelerate up a hill in 5th gear with the engine at 700 rpm would be an example of lugging the engine.
--
Ken

Thanks for your answer, Nosey!!!
CLT.