2006 dakota

Hi, I got a 2006 dakota with a 4.7 liter high output. The owner manual recommends to use premium. with gas prices going up, i am tempted to use regular. would that affect performance or hurt the engine? Any advise is
appreciated. Thanks.

It will have an effect on your performance, as the engine will retard the ignition timing to combat knocking, resulting in less power. It won't actually hurt the engine - that's the whole purpose behind knock sensors.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Does the 4.7L actually do this? The 5.2L and 5.9L do not seem to alter timing based on knocking from what I could tell on my 2000 and 2001 Rams.

Yep - all of the x.7L's have knock sensors (so does the Viper's 8.3L). Two of 'em, bolted to each side of the engine block.
You're correct about the 3.9/5.2/5.9 (and the 8.0L as well, contrary to what a former member of this group espoused) - no knock sensors there.
Thanks, and if i go back to premium, the engine will regain performance?

Correct.
Thank you for all the info.

Why not use one tank premium, and the next el cheapo. Mix the tow to see how that works.

Try a tankfull of each, check the mileage for each, then calculate cost per mile. Don't confuse price with cost.
Ken

tha e truc was designed to run on higher octane fuel and if you don't it could set a check engine lite and the pinging does do damage over time the louder it is the worse it becomes knock sensors are not desinged to counter that effect i have a rt and a mopar hipo pcm and also i'm suppose to have premium fuel but i use a octane booster that is cheaper than the premium gas and have good results
thanks, i'll have to try that. Do you still get optimal performance with the octane booster?