2006 factory lighting

My 2006 2500 has had screwed up trailer jack lighting since it was new. Testing the seven prong indicates that the right terminals are not lighting up at the right time. Has anyone else had problems with the '06 like that?

Steve

Visit my blog at

Steve B

Steve

A couple of years ago I did trailer light wiring on my 2001 Ram 1500. I did a bunch of research to be sure that everything would be as I desired. One thing I did learn is that all the automobile manufacturers did some things their own way and did not follow the normal industry wiring norms.

Among the things about Dodge wiring schemes is that according to their specifications there is only a capacity for one additional filament for each lamp circuit. As in just one additional brake light etc. Anything more would supposedly void any manufacturer respoponsibility. Expressed or implied. Accordingly I found relays that drew less current than one bulb filament. I properly added a fuse to supply 12 VDC to 5 relays and used this as a source of 12 VDC for the trailer lighting. I ran the control of each relay from the nearby wiring above the spare tire. I made a small box/chassis for the relays and was able to tuck it up in the frame near where the rear bumper attaches. It is held in place with a foam block that I fashioned for a "jam" fit. I also added a separate 12VDC circuit to supply 12 volts for any possible use on any trailer. I located the brake light trailer brake wiring and added the wiring for it to my 7 pin connector wiring. I also wired the trailer ground, thru the 7 pin connector, from the frame ground where the factory ground wiring attaches. A web site that appears to have it together emphasises that a faulty ground is the most common failure of trailer lights. A total of 4 additional #10 wires from the area of the underhood fuse block. I physically ran the wires inside of the frame to an opening near the fuse block under the hood.

Now with all this I have tested and used the 7 pin connector wiring with several different tailers and it has worked everytime. I do go above the minimun needs in all my electrical wiring. Most commercial trailer and RV businesses do just enough to get your money. The choice is yours.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

I had a similar problem with a 2002 Dakota.

The "flasher unit" was the problem.

JAM

Reply to
j-rod