2007stuckin2ndgear

I have a 2007 Dodge Dakota, 3.7L, 6 cylinder, automatic (I bought it brand new in July 2007). On two occassions (September 14 and October 12, 2007) my instrument panel indicated that my transmission was in "drive" however my vehicle could only reach 45 mph on the freeway with the tachometer winding out at 4000, which led me to believe that the vehicle was in 2nd gear. I would pull off the freeway and shift to neutral, reverse, park, then back to reverse, neutral and drive, however, the vehicle would still only go 45 mph with the tachometer winding out at 4000. I took the vehicle to the dealership the next morning (on both occassions) where my vehicle is covered under warranty and both times the dealership said that they test drove my vehicle and could not duplicate the problem. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
gendow

Like Abby said, go with them on the road check....and you drive. The tranny has computer controlled shift points and the problem is most likely there, but could be the transmission itself. Did they even try to retrieve a code?

Ed

Reply to
Ed M.

Yup, I did go with the dealership mechanic on the road test both times and the vehicle drove fine. The first time after the mechanic and I went on the road test he said nothing was wrong so nothing was done. The second time after the road test nothing was wrong again but I pleaded with the mechanic to run a diagnostic, which he did and he said he could not find any error codes. It is so frustrating. A new vehicle should be problem free but this vehicle is stressing me out not knowing when it will happen again. Thanks for your replies.

Reply to
gendow via CarKB.com

Do you have a portable camcorder? If not. borrow one. Try to capture the failure on it.

Reply to
Bill

I have been in the service business myself, and I am sure the tech (if he is worth his salt) is frustrated too. I wasn't in auto service, but I have also been in the situation where I was sure the customer was having a problem but it just wouldn't repeat itself to me. I have also been on the other side like yourself. On one occaision, I left my vehicle with the service manager and he drove it to work every day for a week before the problem raised it's head. This was with my (then) new Town Car that would lose power for about 30 seconds and then go back to normal. It acted like it was running on about 5 cylinders for that time. It didn't leave a code either. It turned out to be the computer unit itself and it was replaced and is still fine after 5yrs and 100,000 miles. Weird things happen, especially with all the electronics on our vehicles today.

Ed

Reply to
Ed M.

Sammy Hagar had the same problem when he could only drive 55. He couldn't get his car out of second gear.

Reply to
EDTHEWARD

LOL............It's too damn early in the morning...............

Ed

Reply to
Ed M.

Is it four wheel drive? My 2001 does this anytime it is put into four wheel low. After it is in four wheel drive low range there is nothing (I mean nothing ) short of putting the tranny in nuetral, and switching the switch to 2WD and waiting for a clicking sound, that will get it out of lowrange. Park won't get the job done.Oh, and it has to be running! I have asked all around and everyone says they have not heard of this. I finally quit worrying about it and added a note to my owners manual. There is nothing in the manual that covers this. Hope this helps. Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

That's normal.

My owners manual specifically states that to shift in and out of 4LO the trans must be in neutral, and the truck should be stopped or rolling at only 2-3mph. Look at page 129.

Reply to
.boB