2500 diesel tire pressures

Gee Miles, since as usual you fail to back up anything, I think that I will take what CNN said over you and as I said before, reading comprehension is not your strong point.

Reply to
TBone

lol, CNN huh? I think I'd rather take Fords own testimony during the congressional hearings over what CNN or you say. The trouble with you isn't reading. It's the fact you take what you first read as fact and feel no need to ever do any research into the matter. Typical far lefty. Just read headlines that fits your needs.

Reply to
miles

None taken. You have just proven my point. Go back and read what I said in my initial reply. I specifically stated that the tire sidewall took precedence over the tag on the door pillar. Moreover, I specifically stated that any deviation from the sideway for the sake of comfort or load handling would result in a compromise that detracted from wear and ride.

But ultimately, SAFETY takes first billing, and THAT is derived from the sidewall rating of the tire.

Since you have specifically stated that the TIRE manufacturer is to be the final source of info, that means the best info on the truck is the sidewall of the tire, as I stated in my initial reply.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Max Dodge

And Goodyear says you are wrong. Read sentence 4.

And once again, Goodyear says you are wrong and so does the tire inflation pamphlet that came with your truck.

Where did you come up with this? The sidewall simply states the maximums the tire is rated for so unless you are always at the or near the maximum load capacity of the tire, keeping it at the maximum pressure does not increase safety and as shown by the very article that you posted, can actually be dangerous.

LOL, I really feel sorry for you Max.

You too.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, sure Miles. The problem is that your reading comprehension is not at

100% with your extreme right wing bias clouding it all of the time but hey, post a link and prove me wrong.

Back to silly accusations I see, how typical. The point is Miles, I simply summarized the article that Max posted and asked him how it backed his point. You then jumped in with some crap that Ford reduced air pressure significantly for ride quality and that it had nothing to do with rollovers when ride quality was not even directly mentioned in the article he posted. As for who you choose to believe, lets look at that. You choose to believe a statement made by Ford when it was in their best interest for them to mislead or even outright lie instead of CNN who would gain nothing by lying and hurt their hard won reputation doing so. Believe whoever you want but I will stick with the safer bet but then again, you haven't even backed up what you claim Ford said.

Reply to
TBone

Well Tom, its a simple case of reading the sidewall. I told you what pressures the sticker recommended, and you also noted that the tire size was incorrect on the sticker. Thus, the sticker is irrelevant in regard to my tires.

My tires are 265/75, the sticker rates 245/75. The sticker notes maximum pressures of 65 and 80 PSI. My sidewall calls for a maximum of 44PSI.

If I follow your advice, my tires explode.

My tires are the same size as factory, and are a load range above what the factory installed.

Sorry Tom, but you are wrong.

Done here.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Hmm...well now TBone, you never read the congressional testimony of Ford so I guess thats how you avoid your own lack of reading comprehension. Just don't read it at all! How do I know you didn't read it? Because if you did you wouldn't be whining right now.

You made a statement as to why Ford reduced pressure as stated by CNN. The problem is that this is what CNN stated, not what Ford stated under oath at the congressional hearing. Was CNN under oath? Did Ford get charged with perjury? The answer is NO to both. Again you simply read headline stories that agree with your bias and run with it. No need to read the actual case at hand when the biased media can interpret it for you.

Reply to
miles

I'm not the one whining Miles, that would be you. There is a difference between reading a testimony and understanding it which you have failed to do and as I see once again, you are unable to back up what you say. At least you are consistent. Unfortunately, it is consistently wrong.

No, I summarized the article posted by Max.

Oh yea, nobody under oath has ever lied or not given the complete truth, LOL!!!

Nope and why would they be and what possible reason would they have to lie? Ford had hundreds of millions of reasons to lie or at least hide the truth. I guess it would have done wonders for their sales to admit that they designed a disaster of a vehicle that even fully inflating its tires puts you at significant risk. Get real Miles.

LOL, nope and how many convicted criminals have been convicted of perjury??? Purgery is just about impossible to prove and is seldom prosecuted. Once again, your lame spin fails.

More complete crap and you should be the last one to talk about bias.

Like I said, your reading comprehension is severely limited. The biased media as you call it did not interpret Fords testimony, they reported on internal documents and test results that had nothing to do with the congressional testimony. Face it Miles, you are as usual, wrong again but feel free to continue to respond and make a fool out of yourself. I will wait for that link that is never going to come.

Reply to
TBone

The sticker has nothing at all to do with the discussion or the point being made.

Big deal, that still doesn't mean that the MAXIMUM pressure printed on the side wall is the only pressure the tire can or even should be used at, only a maximum.

Really??? Show me exactly where I said to ignore the tires rated maximum and go blindly by the sticker on the pillar.

And they can only handle 44 PSI What is the load range and who makes them?

Just because you say it doesn't make it so, even if you really want it to be true. The article you posted, Goodyear, and the pamphlet that came with your truck says that you are the one who is wrong, even if you are completely unable to admit it.

You have been done for a while now Max. Have a nice day.

Reply to
TBone

Sorry Tom, it was the center of the discussion and was part of the original question. It appears you have failed to read once again.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Difference huh? The difference is reading it, or not reading it which would be the case with you. You are very consistent in only reading headline stories that suit your biased needs. You're not one to dig any further. Research is not your forte.

Are you for real???? The news media doesn't lie? They always tell the truth and just report a story huh? Oh geez. I knew you were gullible but now you just went and proved it. News media doesn't lie?? Oh man, now thats some funny stuff right there.

Not impossible with those documents CNN claimed to see....whoops, they only 'SAW' them. They never could actually produce them and prove their origin when asked.

Those documents were never produced for the congressional hearing. Why weren't they?

Oh yes, you always want a link so you do not have to actually do any research yourself. Links exist that will say anything you want them to say. Good grief.

Reply to
miles

Sorry Max, but wrong again. The center of the discussion was varying tire pressure due to the load put on them and that running max pressure for the tire all the time is not always the best thing. You were the one who jumped in with a Budd style fear of death reply stating that the tire must ALWAYS be inflated to the max pressure printed on the sidewall or the tire could fail and someone could be killed. This is of course, complete bullshit because if it were true, your truck would not have come with that inflation pamphlet showing varying pressures for different loads. You then accuse Snowball of telling people to over inflate the tire with no regard to the sidewall maximum which he never did. I guess that was just some desperate spin. BTW Max, I thought that you were done.

Reply to
TBone

Wrong. Here is the original post:

Obviously this is another case of Tbonedonwannabeeleevheebeewrong.

As you can see, there is no mention of death at all in my original reply. Nor did I say that the pressure was to ALWAYS be at the rating on the sidewall.

Just straightening out your lies as usual. Now run along and play with Miles.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Not really any of my business to jump into your little squabble here, but can you reconcile these two statements for us?

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Its pretty much what I told you in the first answer.

The recommended pressure for best load bearing ability and proper tire profile is the one on the sidewall. As I mentioned, ANY other pressure is a compromise to the lifetime and the ride quality of the tire.

At some point, be it lower or higher than that recommended on the sidewall, the pressure you choose will lead to increased wear or less ride comfort. At some further point on the pressure gradient, the pressure you choose will lead to catostrophic failure of the tire, which can lead to injury or death. This is not some scare tactic, it is real life and is documented in the Ford Explorer/Firestone findings of a couple years back.

What some people don't seem to understand is, the literature and the door tag are for the factory tires. In my case, and I suspect yours, the door tag is for the factory stock tires and doesn't even apply to the optional tires. My door tag indicates maximum pressures for a 245/75/16 tire. The truck was optioned to arrive with 265/75/16's, so the door tag does NOT apply to the tires on the truck. Furthermore, the tires I am currently using have a maximum pressure of 44psi, roughly 35psi less than the tag recommendation. Using the tag info would lead to catostrophic failure of the tire.

As such, the first and foremost info is the sidewall of the tire. It shows the maximum pressure, which is also the pressure that will allow the tire to attain its proper profile. This is where it will wear best, and deliver the best fuel economy. It is therefore the proper pressure to run the tire.

As I said before, if you choose to run at any other pressure, you are compromising the tire's ability to wear properly and to operate properly. At some point, the tire will fail prematurely, be it wear or catostrophic failure. NO table of info can properly indicate what pressure you should run a tire, since that table comes from either the truck or the tire manufacturer. As such, each one knows very little about the other due to the vast number of variables involved.

A small example: In sand, your truck will fare much better with considerably lower pressure in the tires. And thats fine on sand at low speeds. On the highway, such a pressure would lead to overheating of the sidewall, and a blowout. Depending on speed and conditions, you might wreck, or simply pull over with a trashed rim.

That is why you should follow the sidewall recommendation AND learn to read the wear patterns on the tire tread. That way, you are best informed about the particular tires and load YOU have, and need not follow some table, or half-assed guess from some newsgroup asshole.

Tire tread can tell you a world of info from wear/load/pressure problems to suspension problems, or handling problems. The tire is the best source of info.

I'll say it again.... the TIRE and its sidewall are the BEST source of info on the pressure you should run. Proper pressure is that listed on the sidewall. Anything you choose based on conditions after reading that pressure is a compromise that YOU aree making to the tire's ability to meet rated wear and load.

Reply to
Max Dodge

LOL, who said that I was referring to your original post or is that just more spin.

No. just another case of Max spin and denial. Goodyear and DC both say that filling the a LT to max pressure with no load actually INCREASES tire wear. Once again, you are as usual, full of shit.

Which is incorrect.

Once again incorrect as said by both DC and Goodyear and I didn't even bother to check the other manufacturers where I know I will see the same information.

Once again, complete bullshit, especially for an LT tire.

Yea, but I replied to your second post which started of with

Sounds a lot like a typical Budd style fear of death response to me.

No, just another lie from you.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, I would like that to be properly explained as well.

Reply to
TBone

And you were wrong then so why should this long winded answer be any different.

Right from the start, you are full of shit. The pressure on the sidewall IS NOT the recommended pressure, it is the MAXIMUM pressure!!! While this may be somewhat valid with a "P" series tire, it is complete BS with a "LT" series tire.

Once again, with a "LT" tire this is complete crap. It really amazes my how little to no grasp of simple basic physics you have.

Once again, you see only what you want to see. The article you posted showed that there was no proof that the reduced tire pressure is what caused the failures and it went on further to talk about 1/2 million Goodyear tires also inflated to that low pressure without any failures. Sorry Maxi, it is a fear tactic and nothing more.

I am still waiting for you to tell us the make and model of the tires you have on your truck now. I see that you keep refering to the pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire as MAXIMUM but also refer to it as reccomeneded. Which one is it?????

Oh, I see, so now the maximum pressure is the only pressure that the tire can reach its proper profile. While this may be somewhat true for a "P" series tire that may only see a load change of a few hundred pounds, it is completely retarded to say that about a "LT" tire that can see load changes of over 2000 LBS on the same vehicle. Like I said, you have no concept of physics at all.

Funny that the very manufacturers of these tires don't agree with you.

More complete crap and a further example that you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. The pressure that a specific tire type and size needs to carry a given load can be calculated and these are the values listed on the vehicle sticker based on the factory tire size and expected weight on its axles. And while this sticker is based on the tire the truck was intended to come with, many also come with a more comprehensive chart that lists different sized tires and loads with the required pressure for each. If the sidewall pressure was the only valid pressure for the tire, why would they ever include such a pamphlet that could libel them if the tire were to fail?

considerably

You have actually disproved your own point, LOL!!! According to you, any deviation from the sidewall pressure could lead to disastrous results and now you are making the claim that under certain conditions, it is not only acceptable, but advantageous to run at a pressure considerably lower than the sidewall pressure. Common sense would also say that the same would apply to a tire supporting considerably less than its maximum designed weight but then again, common sense is the one thing you have damn little of.

What's the matter Max, did I piss you off by proving you to be in error once again? While it is a good idea to learn to read wear patterns, that is useless for most instances of pressure levels in a truck where they take time to form and the load on them can change drastically on a daily basis. The only one acting like an asshole now is you.

Suspension problems sure and perhaps pressure problems in a vehicle that has a consistant load but that is usually not the case in a truck.

And I'll say it again, when it comes to an "LT" tire you are wrong.

Again, wrong. Maximum pressure is listed on the sidewall.

And aga> >> There is no other proper pressure to run tires than the one listed on the

and then claimed

He asked you to reconcile these two statements and you have yet to do so. Why is that Max???

Reply to
TBone