2500 diesel tire pressures

Page 2 of 2

Its pretty much what I told you in the first answer.
The recommended pressure for best load bearing ability and proper tire profile is the one on the sidewall. As I mentioned, ANY other pressure is a compromise to the lifetime and the ride quality of the tire.
At some point, be it lower or higher than that recommended on the sidewall, the pressure you choose will lead to increased wear or less ride comfort. At some further point on the pressure gradient, the pressure you choose will lead to catostrophic failure of the tire, which can lead to injury or death. This is not some scare tactic, it is real life and is documented in the Ford Explorer/Firestone findings of a couple years back.
What some people don't seem to understand is, the literature and the door tag are for the factory tires. In my case, and I suspect yours, the door tag is for the factory stock tires and doesn't even apply to the optional tires. My door tag indicates maximum pressures for a 245/75/16 tire. The truck was optioned to arrive with 265/75/16's, so the door tag does NOT apply to the tires on the truck. Furthermore, the tires I am currently using have a maximum pressure of 44psi, roughly 35psi less than the tag recommendation. Using the tag info would lead to catostrophic failure of the tire.
As such, the first and foremost info is the sidewall of the tire. It shows the maximum pressure, which is also the pressure that will allow the tire to attain its proper profile. This is where it will wear best, and deliver the best fuel economy. It is therefore the proper pressure to run the tire.
As I said before, if you choose to run at any other pressure, you are compromising the tire's ability to wear properly and to operate properly. At some point, the tire will fail prematurely, be it wear or catostrophic failure. NO table of info can properly indicate what pressure you should run a tire, since that table comes from either the truck or the tire manufacturer. As such, each one knows very little about the other due to the vast number of variables involved.
A small example: In sand, your truck will fare much better with considerably lower pressure in the tires. And thats fine on sand at low speeds. On the highway, such a pressure would lead to overheating of the sidewall, and a blowout. Depending on speed and conditions, you might wreck, or simply pull over with a trashed rim.
That is why you should follow the sidewall recommendation AND learn to read the wear patterns on the tire tread. That way, you are best informed about the particular tires and load YOU have, and need not follow some table, or half-assed guess from some newsgroup asshole.
Tire tread can tell you a world of info from wear/load/pressure problems to suspension problems, or handling problems. The tire is the best source of info.
I'll say it again.... the TIRE and its sidewall are the BEST source of info on the pressure you should run. Proper pressure is that listed on the sidewall. Anything you choose based on conditions after reading that pressure is a compromise that YOU aree making to the tire's ability to meet rated wear and load.
--
Max

And you were wrong then so why should this long winded answer be any different.

Right from the start, you are full of shit. The pressure on the sidewall IS NOT the recommended pressure, it is the MAXIMUM pressure!!! While this may be somewhat valid with a "P" series tire, it is complete BS with a "LT" series tire.

sidewall,
Once again, with a "LT" tire this is complete crap. It really amazes my how little to no grasp of simple basic physics you have.

will
death.
Ford
Once again, you see only what you want to see. The article you posted showed that there was no proof that the reduced tire pressure is what caused the failures and it went on further to talk about 1/2 million Goodyear tires also inflated to that low pressure without any failures. Sorry Maxi, it is a fear tactic and nothing more.

tag
tires.
was
I am still waiting for you to tell us the make and model of the tires you have on your truck now. I see that you keep refering to the pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire as MAXIMUM but also refer to it as reccomeneded. Which one is it?????

the
Oh, I see, so now the maximum pressure is the only pressure that the tire can reach its proper profile. While this may be somewhat true for a "P" series tire that may only see a load change of a few hundred pounds, it is completely retarded to say that about a "LT" tire that can see load changes of over 2000 LBS on the same vehicle. Like I said, you have no concept of physics at all.

Funny that the very manufacturers of these tires don't agree with you.

run
the
More complete crap and a further example that you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. The pressure that a specific tire type and size needs to carry a given load can be calculated and these are the values listed on the vehicle sticker based on the factory tire size and expected weight on its axles. And while this sticker is based on the tire the truck was intended to come with, many also come with a more comprehensive chart that lists different sized tires and loads with the required pressure for each. If the sidewall pressure was the only valid pressure for the tire, why would they ever include such a pamphlet that could libel them if the tire were to fail?

considerably
pull
You have actually disproved your own point, LOL!!! According to you, any deviation from the sidewall pressure could lead to disastrous results and now you are making the claim that under certain conditions, it is not only acceptable, but advantageous to run at a pressure considerably lower than the sidewall pressure. Common sense would also say that the same would apply to a tire supporting considerably less than its maximum designed weight but then again, common sense is the one thing you have damn little of.

read
What's the matter Max, did I piss you off by proving you to be in error once again? While it is a good idea to learn to read wear patterns, that is useless for most instances of pressure levels in a truck where they take time to form and the load on them can change drastically on a daily basis. The only one acting like an asshole now is you.

Suspension problems sure and perhaps pressure problems in a vehicle that has a consistant load but that is usually not the case in a truck.

info
And I'll say it again, when it comes to an "LT" tire you are wrong.

Again, wrong. Maximum pressure is listed on the sidewall.

meet
And again, you would be wrong and have nothing to back up this complete load of shit. And BTW this long winded load of shit you posted still didn't answer the simple question posted by DJ. You first said:

the
and then claimed

He asked you to reconcile these two statements and you have yet to do so. Why is that Max???

wrote in message

the
LOL, I would like that to be properly explained as well.

Which is incorrect.

for
life
that
Once again incorrect as said by both DC and Goodyear and I didn't even bother to check the other manufacturers where I know I will see the same information.

the
driver
Once again, complete bullshit, especially for an LT tire.

Yea, but I replied to your second post which started of with

CAN
Sounds a lot like a typical Budd style fear of death response to me.

No, just another lie from you.

TBone wrote:

Really now? They didn't lower the pressure to prevent rollovers. They did so to improve ride quality.

Once again, Miles jumps into the thread in an attempt to prove me wrong, slips in his own bullshit and lands flat on his face, LOL! Did you even read the article that I was summarizing Miles???
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/08/21/tiredeaths.pressure.ap/index.html
Now I know that reading comprehension is not your thing but try re-reading the forth and especially the sixth paragraph. You should be done here but if you wish to further entertain us, feel free to reply.

TBone wrote:

Now go read the full congressional report especially the first 2 of the 3 rounds. Read Fords testimony. The documents you mention raised questions about Ford's position during testimony that accidents involving the Explorer and Firestone tires aren't related to Ford's recommended tire pressure for the Explorer. Fords own testimony is in contradiction to your statements TBone. Try not to base your baseless comments one what you read on the net. Read the congressional testimony as to exactly what Ford said.
Gee Miles, since as usual you fail to back up anything, I think that I will take what CNN said over you and as I said before, reading comprehension is not your strong point.
"miles" < snipped-for-privacy@nopers.com> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

lol, CNN huh? I think I'd rather take Fords own testimony during the congressional hearings over what CNN or you say. The trouble with you isn't reading. It's the fact you take what you first read as fact and feel no need to ever do any research into the matter. Typical far lefty. Just read headlines that fits your needs.

will
is
LOL, sure Miles. The problem is that your reading comprehension is not at 100% with your extreme right wing bias clouding it all of the time but hey, post a link and prove me wrong.

Back to silly accusations I see, how typical. The point is Miles, I simply summarized the article that Max posted and asked him how it backed his point. You then jumped in with some crap that Ford reduced air pressure significantly for ride quality and that it had nothing to do with rollovers when ride quality was not even directly mentioned in the article he posted. As for who you choose to believe, lets look at that. You choose to believe a statement made by Ford when it was in their best interest for them to mislead or even outright lie instead of CNN who would gain nothing by lying and hurt their hard won reputation doing so. Believe whoever you want but I will stick with the safer bet but then again, you haven't even backed up what you claim Ford said.

TBone wrote:

Hmm...well now TBone, you never read the congressional testimony of Ford so I guess thats how you avoid your own lack of reading comprehension. Just don't read it at all! How do I know you didn't read it? Because if you did you wouldn't be whining right now.

You made a statement as to why Ford reduced pressure as stated by CNN. The problem is that this is what CNN stated, not what Ford stated under oath at the congressional hearing. Was CNN under oath? Did Ford get charged with perjury? The answer is NO to both. Again you simply read headline stories that agree with your bias and run with it. No need to read the actual case at hand when the biased media can interpret it for you.

at
hey,
I'm not the one whining Miles, that would be you. There is a difference between reading a testimony and understanding it which you have failed to do and as I see once again, you are unable to back up what you say. At least you are consistent. Unfortunately, it is consistently wrong.

believe
lying
but I

No, I summarized the article posted by Max.

Oh yea, nobody under oath has ever lied or not given the complete truth, LOL!!!

Nope and why would they be and what possible reason would they have to lie? Ford had hundreds of millions of reasons to lie or at least hide the truth. I guess it would have done wonders for their sales to admit that they designed a disaster of a vehicle that even fully inflating its tires puts you at significant risk. Get real Miles.

LOL, nope and how many convicted criminals have been convicted of perjury??? Purgery is just about impossible to prove and is seldom prosecuted. Once again, your lame spin fails.

More complete crap and you should be the last one to talk about bias.

interpret it for you.
Like I said, your reading comprehension is severely limited. The biased media as you call it did not interpret Fords testimony, they reported on internal documents and test results that had nothing to do with the congressional testimony. Face it Miles, you are as usual, wrong again but feel free to continue to respond and make a fool out of yourself. I will wait for that link that is never going to come.

TBone wrote:

Difference huh? The difference is reading it, or not reading it which would be the case with you. You are very consistent in only reading headline stories that suit your biased needs. You're not one to dig any further. Research is not your forte.

Are you for real???? The news media doesn't lie? They always tell the truth and just report a story huh? Oh geez. I knew you were gullible but now you just went and proved it. News media doesn't lie?? Oh man, now thats some funny stuff right there.

Not impossible with those documents CNN claimed to see....whoops, they only 'SAW' them. They never could actually produce them and prove their origin when asked.

Those documents were never produced for the congressional hearing. Why weren't they?
Oh yes, you always want a link so you do not have to actually do any research yourself. Links exist that will say anything you want them to say. Good grief.
Max Dodge wrote:

Then why exactly do decent tire manufacturers offer documentation with suggested pressures for given loading, operation speed, and ambient temperature?
Check out Michelin or BF Goodrich's websites sometime. They've got a LOT of documentation online.
With radial tires, overinflating-for-the-actual-load actually decreases fuel economy. Also, you generally get 'funny' tire wear (center wear) and the reduced initial contact patch can be a very dangerous situation...
JS

Ever check to see what the manufacturer suggested pressures are? Are they the same as the door pillar tag? Which pressure recommendation is readily found while on the road? What pressure would keep the tire in its designed profile and flexibility design, door pillar or sidewall? What tire pressure will keep a tire from excessive sidewall flex?

Congrats! Now, which info is on the sidewall of the tire, the stuff BFG and Michelin publish, or the door pillar specs?

Pure bullshit. Proper inflation via the info on the sidewall (I run 2 lbs less due to variation in guage temp, air temp and tire temp, to keep it just under spec) will keep the tire at its proper contact patch with the road surface while keeping sidewall flex at a minimum, thus lowering rolling resistance.

Center wear is an indication of overinflation of the tire under ANY conditions. A tire inflated to the spec on the sidewall will have proper profile and contact, and will wear evenly.

As could the contact patch of an underinflated tire, seen here in the second drawing.
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html
As you can see, the tire ALSO loses contact patch when under inflated.
Again, use the info on the tire sidewall for inflation pressures.

Goodyear Viva tires are manufactured exclusively for Wal-Mart, so yeah, It WAS the cheap tires. Furthermore, its very hard to believe that a tire designed for use on a typical passenger car had a pressure rating of 44PSI, since thats well over the norm. They also are guaranteed for 80,000 miles, not exactly a tire that grabs the pavement very well.
This guy found them to be terrible tires and replaced them after 2000 miles.
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+MXV4+Plus&commentStatus=P

Wonder of wonders...... maybe you misread the sidewall and it was 34 PSI like MOST passenger car tires without a speed rating??

A Ford Exploder is automatically DQ'ed as a test vehicle because of well publicized problems in the ratings on the tire and the vehicle. According to easily found data, Ford was incorrect at 26PSI (on the door) and Firestone claimed that anything over 30PSI would work, AFTER they dropped the claim that 36PSI was proper in light of losing money after Ford and Firestone had a huge falling out and $$ started flashing.

Which is irrelevant given the drastic differences in the type of tire and the vehicle.
--
Max

It depends on who you talk to.
I am running BFG 245/75-17E on my dually. I got no documentation other than the doorpost sticker when I bought the truck new.
I emailed BFG and asked for load/inflation tables since they were not to be found on the web.
BFG snail-mailed me the requested tables. They show ratings from 35 psi @ 1100 lbs to 80 psi @ 3910 lbs. for single tire usage. There is no dual tire rating, yet on the sidewall of the tires, they do show a dual rating.
They included a letter that said I should adjust the tire pressures according to the loading.
I emailed them back and asked about dual tire configurations. (My truck has 3600 lbs on the rear axle, 4800 on the front.)
Their answer: "Use the door sticker information." which conflicts with their first answer of "inflate to the pressures shown on the inflation tables for the loading on the tires."
Greg

I had 2 new front tires put on my dually last week. I took it Discount Tires. When they input my truck (2005 3500 Dually HD) and which tire I had (General) it spit out the tire pressures for a loaded and unloaded truck. Pretty cool.
Loaded Mine was 80 pounds rear on all 4 tires and 65 front. Unloaded 50 to 65 pounds rear and 50 to 65 front.
So, I assume you would adjust them for the type of ride you want. I run mine 55 front and 65 rear when not pulling my 14.5K 5th wheeler. When towing I run all of them maxed out.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply

You may find this more helpful, page 7 of the first link is probably what you're looking for.
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/databook/loadInflation.pdf
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf