2500 questions

Got a 1997 2500. The rear of the valve cover on the Cummins engine is "tucked under" a lip in the firewall. How easy is it to remove the valve cover to adjust the valves?

Also, I've been told the rear axle is 4.11. How easy is it to change the gearing to around 3.5 or so? How would I correct the speedometer? Thx.

Destin

Reply to
Destin Rogers

Not hard at all. Actually, there's 6 valve covers. The plate cover comes off with two bolts, then each valve cover comes off with a single bolt. There's not a whole lot of room for the #6 cover, but there's enough to tip it to the side (passenger) and and remove it.

That Dana 70 axle is a little more difficult to work with, because of the use of shims. If you haven't done a differential swap before, I'd leave it to a shop. If you want to tackle it yourself, read through a post from Steve Belt here - about 2/3's down the page, the message with the subject '4.56 gear installation info':

By changing the pinion gear of the sending unit on the tailpiece of the transmission (I'm assuming you have a 2WD, because you were only asking about a rear diff. swap. On a 4x4, the sending unit is on the transfer case). Since a 3.55 gear was also standard equipment on your truck, your Dodge parts counter should be able to look up the correct pinion gear for you.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence