2nd battery in 2 years? 01 Durango SLT

I looked and looked but didn't see a thread on this topic. Last year, I got into the car and the electical system seemed to short out when the key was turned in the ignition. The lights went out and the the
electrical system went dead. The Dodge Boys told me it was a dead battery. Tonight, the same thing just happened. I noticed these things: When I got into the car, the electrical system seemed ok. Interior lights were bright. Warning bells went off when I put the key into the ignition. Soon as I turned the key, everything died. When cables were attached to the battery, the car started but the charging guage was pegged at full.
Could be the battery again?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Most likely your problem is a loose (or corroded) connection at the battery terminal (or at the starter). Clean and tighten the connections.
Although a very simple repair, batteries are very dangerous. Wear safety glasses & gloves. If you get any battery acid on your skin immediately rinse it off with lots of water. Battery acid will burn your flesh quickly and if you get any in your eyes it can blind you.
Begin by disconnecting the NEGATIVE (-) terminal first. LEAVE IT DISCONNECTED - then with the negative terminal STILL DISCONNECTED go to work on the positive (+) terminal. If the cable (wire) going to either battery terminal has become frayed and is growing green crud, REPLACE IT. When reconnecting the battery, hook up the POSITIVE (+) terminal first and NEGATIVE (-) terminal last (for safety reasons).
Less likely is that 1 or more cells of the battery are very low on electrolyte (sulfuric acid). This could occur if the battery has sustained some type of physical damage (cracked or punctured) or has been overcharged and boiled dry. You can add *distilled water* if it's simply low, but if one or more cells appear to be completely empty then the battery has been permanently damaged and adding water is unlikely to help. Use water (preferably distilled water) only. ** DO NOT ADD ACID ** Do not overfill. Fill to the top of the split ring. If you don't know what this is, have someone show/help you.
If all cells of the battery are LOW on electrolyte or if it takes a cup (8 ounces) or more to completely refill all the cells, then I would be a little suspect of a malfunctioning charging system (Alternator/regulator).
Work safe!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.