2nd Update on 2002 2500 Ram Power Loss

I had posted two previous notes concerning a problem with my 2002 Diesel which had about 66,000 miles when the problem developed. The last note was on Aug 25. Basically, the truck had no pulling power and could hardly move itself. Forget about towing. The dealer finally solved the problem by replacing two fuel system pumps. But before the dealer had it figured, the root cause was diagnosed by several subscribers to this news group. You guys are good!

In short: the uplift pump began to fail. My understanding, this pump located near the engine is used to move the diesel fuel from the tank to the engine injector pump. The injector pump is a high pressure pump which must be lubricated. This lubrication is accomplished by the fuel delivered by the uplift pump. When the uplift pump failed, the injector pump was fried( burned out).

The fix: Both pumps were replaced but now the uplift pump is installed in the fuel tank.

Fortunately I had the Extended warranty, so out of pocket was $100.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
John A Reichert

Yup, same thing happened to my '02 diesel Ram.....and yup, I too had the extended warranty!

But, it was the opposite for me, the timing xxxx (sometimers just hit me) was sticking in the injector pump, which caused the lift pump to not register the correct pressure, so the dealer replaced that first, then the next day, when we managed to get the truck back to him, he replaced the injector pump....wow, my mpg went way up! For about 2 weeks, then dropped back down about .7 mpg.

Reply to
Granny Grump