3.7L oil filter

1st oil change on my 2008 Dakota 3.7L. Owner's manual says filter # 05281090, so I go buy me a Mopar oil filter # 05281090 and some oil and start into it. Lo and behold, the factory filter is different - it's taller and skinnier whereas 05281090 is shorter and fatter. The 05281090 gasket is a tick bigger diameter than the factory filter, but it mates OK to the housing flange. The threads are compatible. However there's a plastic drip tray under the filter location, and there's no way in H that #05281090 will fit in there with the drip tray in place. I unbolted and moved the drip tray aside, and spun on #05281090 and hand tightened it.

Of course the local dealer service departments are all closed by now so I can't call them.

Is this the right filter for the 3.7L? Or is this a royal PITA misprint in the owners manual?

FWIW, the factory installed filter says #04781452BB on it.

Reply to
dakota2112

Alth the 090 filter will fit and not be a problem, the 452 filter is the correct one for the 3.7L. I'd just leave the 090 filter on there till the next oil change and then put the correct one on.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Thanks for the info. I crossreferenced the 452 to a fram ph3600 which fit perfectly. I think the owner's manual is wrong.

Reply to
dakota2112

I work at O'Reilly's auto parts, and just in the last few weeks we got a memo that the filter for these late model trucks was spec'd wrong by the owners manual and by the filter makers.....not at work now, so don't remember the proper replacement, but odds are you are right...the factory screwed up.

Reply to
curmudgeon