318 Idle problem

Dakota 92 LE 318 A/T 208k miles - new plugs/wires - new fuel pump, good compression, no detectable vacuum leaks. The engine idles fine with foot off pedal, but when trying to park it or move it around in tight places (like where you need just a little light throttle pressure), it will begin to "surge" and "lunge" and "seek" (and finally die, if you're not "on top of it").

Cleaned the grunge out of the air plenum butterfly area and it helped some, but not enough.

Suggestions appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance.

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

I am not real familiar with the 92 318, but I have seen the TPS throttle position sensor, cause similar problems on other engines. This is a simple test you can check with a ohm meter, than move the throttle slowly and make sure the ohms change proportionally. I don't know what the low and high ohm specs are for your engine but bet you could find them in a haynes or maybe online. Good Luck

Reply to
Ring