360 thermostat location

I'm guessing it's located on the top side of the engine. Just blew a lower radiator hose and decided to replace the stock thermostat with a 185 degree unit as is highly recommended. Let me know if I am correct in my assumption on location. Also, any tips anyone may have while I'm in here doing this would be appreciated.

Next week I'm doing the DT TracBar, ball joints from Quad 4x4 and Borgeson steering shaft.

2001 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 5 speed.
Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Yep... follow the upper radiator hose. Where it ends, is the thermostat housing.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Laszlo, I just replaced the thermostat on my wife's98 Durango with 360 and I never removed the upper hose off the piece that bolts down over the thermostat. I just loosened the 2 bolts and pulled it up by the hose and cleaned off the water outlet piece and engine side with a brass brush on the end of a drill. Used the special sealant they have at Auto Zone for thermostat gasket sealing. I think I put a 160 degree thermostat in when I did it. I just hate to have an engine running hotter than necessary. I hope this doesn't mess up the computer emission crap. I haven't noticed any problem in the 2 weeks or so since I did it.

Ben

Reply to
Ben in TN

Nevermind that a T-stat that low will set an OBD-II code, not let the engine reach optimal operating temperature, and cost you some fuel economy. The entire FI system has been designed with an operating temperature of 195°F.

But hey - at least it's not running too hot...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

It's my understanding that a 185 degree stat will really help the 360 perform better. Is that not quite the case?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Yes, and no. On a stock engine, it will probably perform worse, because the computer thinks the engine is still cold. It will run rich, idle poorly, and get crappy mileage. Guess how I know this? Since trying that experiment (and quickly reversing the process) I used a Hypertech programmer. This advances timing, and adds a smidgen more fuel. That worked great, but on a hot day or when towing, I would get pinging at heavy throttle. So I went back to the 180* thermostat, and added a bottle of Water Wetter. Truck doesn't get as hot, and no pinging. Last time I towed on a hot day, I abused the engine a little to try and make it ping - it didn't. Other than that, I notice no difference at all in operation.

So, bottom line: Stock engines should use stock thermostat.

Reply to
.boB

I have a 95 Ram 1500 318. I went with a 185 stat after i had a head gasket and head reworked after a overheating. I soon had to replace the Cat Converter. I thought it was the water going into the cylinders that stopped it up. I ran my truck for 2 1/2 months so far this summer and have noticed a smell of not completely burned fuel out of the duel exhaust Dodge service put a test Ox Sensor on the converter and said that it was not burning fuel and wanted to know what degree stat i had. I told them a 185 and they changed it to a 195 and the burnt fuel smell just went away. There explaination was that the engine cylinder jackets were not getting hot enough to completely burn the fuel. So my experience would be to go with a

195 stat because that is where the enegine was built to run on.

RamGuy

Just my 2 cents worth. give me change if it wasn't worth it.

Reply to
Bo

'emissions tampering'

TranSurgeon

Don't recall asking anything of the sort of what you posted. While I see your point, it was not requested to have input such as this.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Laszlo, I don't have a dog in this but.. When Gary replied I sorta thought, hmmm.. good point I didn't think of that. Other might have thought of it. Who know's?

Also how you take a post is on you, not the poster.

Gary's reply was not a deviation imo.

Good deal, glad it worked out.

That is a mistake, again imo.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

".boB" wrote in news:42e9a460$0$52184$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetmonster.com:

My 360's basically stock with a 185 thermo and it runs great. A/C on idling in traffic and 93 degrees outside is no problem at all. Mileage hasn't changed at all from the 195 thermo - still 14 mpg overall.

Bob, do you have a link to the Hypertech? What octane are you using at the pump?

Joe '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC '93 Mustang LX 5.0 hatch with a few goodies

Reply to
Joe

Have you ever known someone who was fined for putting a lower temp. thermostat in a vehicle? I can see being fined for cutting off a cat - but for changing a 'stat? I find that a little over the top

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"Tom Lawrence" wrote in news:L0uGe.10798$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

The fact that it's running cooler may affect emissions in a negative way.

Reply to
Joe

Well, he could have gotten his point across in a, IMO, a more polite manner. Something like: While I have heard of this being done, I'd recommend not changing to a 180 degree because it may cause the fuel to not combust as designed thereby lowering your overall fuel economy and dispensing raw fuel into the atmosphere which may be considered an environmental issue down the road. Now that would have been taken much better, wouldn't have come across as negative. We live in a world where too many people try to push their views and opinions onto others where it isn't wanted.

I'm just sick and tired of people jumping in with something that sounds negative right from the get go. I think more points could be gotten across if the information is submitted in a more friendly manner...not purely " 'emissions tampering' " which automatically exudes negativity.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

That's not the point. You MAY lose your license for travelling 1MPH over the speed limit, too... I'm looking for actual first-hand knowledge of a fine being levied.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yeah, but I give Gary a lot of credit for being efficient with his words :)

We live in a world with too many panty-waisted weak-in-the-knees twits who care more about how something is phrased rather than the meaning behind it. By posting something in an open forum such as this, you INVITE the opinions of all who read it. If you're not prepared to see those opinions, accept the ones you agree with, and discard the ones you don't, without getting all runny-nosed about it, then I would suggest not reading any future postings.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

while your points below are well taken, the mere fact that it is in the engine at all is 'emissions tampering' which carries a heavy fine

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...................are you this obtuse naturally or did you take classes ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

"Tom Lawrence" wrote in news:dGuGe.10806$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

My thought was that if the emissions are over the limit, the vehicle won't pass inspection, and if the driver gets caught driving without a valid inspection sticker, he'll get fined.

So based on that, I guess it's possible to draw the conclusion that you can be fined for installing a low-temp thermo. Not that I'm defending the supposition...

Reply to
Joe

and if the emissions station guy has had a bad week, and decides to dig a bit....................

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Using that logic, doing a tune-up will carry a heavy fine. You're tampering with stuff directly related to emissions.

"TranSurgeon" wrote in news:eavGe.194686$x96.147974@attbi_s72:

Reply to
Joe