360 thermostat location

"TranSurgeon" wrote in news:9SvGe.194810$x96.185732@attbi_s72:

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass because there's no inspection here, not that it wouldn't pass anyway.

When it's 95 out and I'm in stand-still traffic and the a/c's on full blast, I want the truck to run a bit cooler, so I'll use the 180. End of story.

Reply to
Joe

Dammit Joe, you beat me to it. :-)

TBone

LOL, complete BS. Do you think that they have either the time, motivation, or permission to take the vehicle apart to look??? All they will do is say you are running cold, tell you that you need to get it fixed, and fail you.

Reply to
TBone

Here's a tip - DON'T FEED THE GREASEMONKEY!

BEEKEEP

Reply to
beekeep

But that wouldn't have been Gary being Gary. He is what he is.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Actually, in a lot of states vehicles with a GVWR of 8800 and over are not subject to emissions testing. So, in NC it isn't even an issue for any sort of law enforcement agency.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Hey Joe....a kill-file is a great thing to have for newsgroups.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

ROFLMAO...that's the truth beekeep. I'll heed that one.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Actually, since all ya can do is swap plugs and plug wires, and you cannot :change timing, fueling, vacuum lines, etc, its not messing with emissions at all.

Assuming you were correct, we'd have to include air filters, air intake mods (K&N anyone?) injector changes, PCM chipping, shift kits, exhaust mods of almost any sort, tire size changes.....

Reply to
Max Dodge

"Carolina Watercraft Works" wrote in news:uUxGe.40054$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Down here in SoFla we don't have any kind of inspection let alone emissions testing. Basically, if it's titled, licensed, and insured, it's on the road legally.

Reply to
Joe

"Max Dodge" wrote in news:1ayGe.374$DJ5.189@trnddc07:

Sure it is. If you put the wrong plugs in you'll screw up your emissions big time. So what's the inspection guy gonna do, pull a plug to check if you've got the right ones in?

Indeed. Shows you how ridiculous this whole thing is.

Bottom line is that if the stuff coming out of the pipe doesn't trip the sensor, you're ok. No way in hell is anybody going to check every single emission-related component on every single vehicle.

Reply to
Joe

"Carolina Watercraft Works" wrote in news:JVxGe.40055$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Nah, it's fun to read everything.

Reply to
Joe

Um, yeah, ok, sure......

Actually, PA has just enacted legislation to do exactly that with a "visual inspection". Now, since its still up to private enterprise to do the inspections......They may or may not check everything, including the thermostat. Those new handheld thermometer guns are wonderful, aren't they?

I'll readily agree its ridiculous. But the fact is, if they actually enforce the regs (and someone WILL at some point do exactly that), then the thermostat is fair game. What I see here is a bunch of people saying, "well, yeah, it might be considered against the rules, if they catch us." Great, so for no appreciable gain, and to the possible detriment of the PCM programming, y'all are gonna change the 'stat? Ten degrees is worth that much trouble? (and I mean the hassle of changing the stat, not the bullshit regs) In some cases, I suppose it might be.

Reply to
Max Dodge

There are two levels of tune available with the hypertech, 89 and 91 octane. I tried them both. 89 made a huge difference over stock, and got better fuel mileage.

91 didn't seem to make any additional improvements, but required premium fuel and got worse mileage. So I run mid grade all the time. Even when towing.
Reply to
.boB

NY Does on vehicles that are tested. The new computer system actually helps in that respect since it can bring up data on what is supposed to be on the vehicle in regards to emissions controls. Then you just look it over and see if those parts are there.

As for mods that are considered tampering. Chips, Injector changes, Exhaust mods ahead of the cat., SOME air intake kits, Thermostat altering are on the list. NY now plugs into your vehicle and runs it. They check to see what parameters are out of spec. and how far. They also look at trouble codes and drive cycles, IF for example you just cleared a trouble code and haven't driven through a drive cycle they can make you take it out and drive it and retest. Upstate has just started with the onboard testing of vehicles with OBD ports. I can see the full dyno testing coming real soon.

Reply to
Steve W.

".boB" wrote in news:42eac3e9$0$5357$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetmonster.com:

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Joe

"Max Dodge" wrote in news:WjzGe.7677$W%5.7032@trnddc05:

Uh, yeah, hullo...

Guess I'll never live in PA. No loss.

Reply to
Joe

"Steve W." wrote in news:42ead605$1 snipped-for-privacy@spool9-west.superfeed.net:

And I'll never live in NY either. Again, no loss.

Reply to
Joe

wrong, Brainiac

you are not changing to a non-specified part

try again

Reply to
TranSurgeon

another rocket scientist speaks