360 thermostat location

Page 2 of 5

when
I have a 95 Ram 1500 318. I went with a 185 stat after i had a head gasket and head reworked after a overheating. I soon had to replace the Cat Converter. I thought it was the water going into the cylinders that stopped it up. I ran my truck for 2 1/2 months so far this summer and have noticed a smell of not completely burned fuel out of the duel exhaust Dodge service put a test Ox Sensor on the converter and said that it was not burning fuel and wanted to know what degree stat i had. I told them a 185 and they changed it to a 195 and the burnt fuel smell just went away. There explaination was that the engine cylinder jackets were not getting hot enough to completely burn the fuel. So my experience would be to go with a 195 stat because that is where the enegine was built to run on.
RamGuy
Just my 2 cents worth. give me change if it wasn't worth it.
Put in any lower than 195o in NY state and you might very well fail your emissions inspection next time around
'emissions tampering'

Don't recall asking anything of the sort of what you posted. While I see your point, it was not requested to have input such as this.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo, I don't have a dog in this but.. When Gary replied I sorta thought, hmmm.. good point I didn't think of that. Other might have thought of it. Who know's?
Also how you take a post is on you, not the poster.

Gary's reply was not a deviation imo.

Good deal, glad it worked out.

That is a mistake, again imo.
Roy
Well, he could have gotten his point across in a, IMO, a more polite manner. Something like: While I have heard of this being done, I'd recommend not changing to a 180 degree because it may cause the fuel to not combust as designed thereby lowering your overall fuel economy and dispensing raw fuel into the atmosphere which may be considered an environmental issue down the road. Now that would have been taken much better, wouldn't have come across as negative. We live in a world where too many people try to push their views and opinions onto others where it isn't wanted.
I'm just sick and tired of people jumping in with something that sounds negative right from the get go. I think more points could be gotten across if the information is submitted in a more friendly manner...not purely " 'emissions tampering' " which automatically exudes negativity.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Yeah, but I give Gary a lot of credit for being efficient with his words :)

We live in a world with too many panty-waisted weak-in-the-knees twits who care more about how something is phrased rather than the meaning behind it. By posting something in an open forum such as this, you INVITE the opinions of all who read it. If you're not prepared to see those opinions, accept the ones you agree with, and discard the ones you don't, without getting all runny-nosed about it, then I would suggest not reading any future postings.
while your points below are well taken, the mere fact that it is in the engine at all is 'emissions tampering' which carries a heavy fine
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...................are you this obtuse naturally or did you take classes ?

Using that logic, doing a tune-up will carry a heavy fine. You're tampering with stuff directly related to emissions.

Dammit Joe, you beat me to it. :-)
another rocket scientist speaks

Actually, since all ya can do is swap plugs and plug wires, and you cannot :change timing, fueling, vacuum lines, etc, its not messing with emissions at all.
Assuming you were correct, we'd have to include air filters, air intake mods (K&N anyone?) injector changes, PCM chipping, shift kits, exhaust mods of almost any sort, tire size changes.....
--
Max

Sure it is. If you put the wrong plugs in you'll screw up your emissions big time. So what's the inspection guy gonna do, pull a plug to check if you've got the right ones in?

Indeed. Shows you how ridiculous this whole thing is.
Bottom line is that if the stuff coming out of the pipe doesn't trip the sensor, you're ok. No way in hell is anybody going to check every single emission-related component on every single vehicle.

Um, yeah, ok, sure......

Actually, PA has just enacted legislation to do exactly that with a "visual inspection". Now, since its still up to private enterprise to do the inspections......They may or may not check everything, including the thermostat. Those new handheld thermometer guns are wonderful, aren't they?
I'll readily agree its ridiculous. But the fact is, if they actually enforce the regs (and someone WILL at some point do exactly that), then the thermostat is fair game. What I see here is a bunch of people saying, "well, yeah, it might be considered against the rules, if they catch us." Great, so for no appreciable gain, and to the possible detriment of the PCM programming, y'all are gonna change the 'stat? Ten degrees is worth that much trouble? (and I mean the hassle of changing the stat, not the bullshit regs) In some cases, I suppose it might be.
--
Max

Uh, yeah, hullo...

Guess I'll never live in PA. No loss.

Spark plugs are heat ranged to be self cleaning. The range is generally accepted to be about 300-400 degrees wide, and could be 500 to 900C, or 700-1000F, depending on your preference for measurement. Given the wide range of operation, changing a heat range, whether purposeful or by accident, will not appreciably alter the emissions of a vehicle, since the purpose is to burn off deposits of what is already in the cylinder. Spark plugs do not alter the operating temp of an engine (which is the greatest influence on emissions for a number of reasons) but instead alter the temp at which the plug disappates heat. Thus one engine model may be fine with stock plugs in one application, but may need a different heat range plug in another application. One example might be the Ford 5.4 often used in police applications. In a police cruiser, it may be necessary to have a hotter plug due to the relatively lazy way the car is used, slow patrols, stopped and watching. Conversely, the same model may be used in another PD and be used for highway patrol, and need a cooler plug. Thus swapping plugs is not a real factor on emissions, but is a definite factor in maintenance of the spark plugs. If you wish to reach a bit, certainly you could claim the lack of maintenance on a cool set of plugs, or the pre-ignition caused by too hot a plug, would affect emissions. However, between the two, there is plenty of space to roam.
So, again, I say, Um, yeah, ok, sure, whatever....

Or Cali. By what I've read so far, thats 3 down, and 47 to go. At what point will you decide to live in another country simply based on emissions regs that have very little effect on overall power?
--
Max

And to all that I say: Um, sure. Whatever. Using the wrong plugs will affect your emissions in a negative way.

I'll never live in another country. Maybe another state, but never another country. The primary factor in determining where I will live has always been the weather.

And I'm sure you have proof of this, so why not post the information?
--
Max

It's simply not worth the time.

So you simply don't have it, do you? I mean, its worth the time to reply to a one line quip with a worn out line of your own, but to supply proof is beynd your limited time resources?
I think the regulars can see where this is going. The last word is yours..... if you've got time, that is.
--
Max