360 thermostat location

it also checks the ECM ID against what is supposed to be there

Reply to
TranSurgeon

hi, Greggy

still being an asshole, eh ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

aaawww...........whasssamtter, Greggy-poo

feeling left out ?

or is the discussion over your head (again)?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Spark plugs are heat ranged to be self cleaning. The range is generally accepted to be about 300-400 degrees wide, and could be 500 to 900C, or

700-1000F, depending on your preference for measurement. Given the wide range of operation, changing a heat range, whether purposeful or by accident, will not appreciably alter the emissions of a vehicle, since the purpose is to burn off deposits of what is already in the cylinder. Spark plugs do not alter the operating temp of an engine (which is the greatest influence on emissions for a number of reasons) but instead alter the temp at which the plug disappates heat. Thus one engine model may be fine with stock plugs in one application, but may need a different heat range plug in another application. One example might be the Ford 5.4 often used in police applications. In a police cruiser, it may be necessary to have a hotter plug due to the relatively lazy way the car is used, slow patrols, stopped and watching. Conversely, the same model may be used in another PD and be used for highway patrol, and need a cooler plug. Thus swapping plugs is not a real factor on emissions, but is a definite factor in maintenance of the spark plugs. If you wish to reach a bit, certainly you could claim the lack of maintenance on a cool set of plugs, or the pre-ignition caused by too hot a plug, would affect emissions. However, between the two, there is plenty of space to roam.

So, again, I say, Um, yeah, ok, sure, whatever....

Or Cali. By what I've read so far, thats 3 down, and 47 to go. At what point will you decide to live in another country simply based on emissions regs that have very little effect on overall power?

Reply to
Max Dodge

"Max Dodge" wrote in news:g_DGe.2304$Tk6.1117@trnddc02:

And to all that I say: Um, sure. Whatever. Using the wrong plugs will affect your emissions in a negative way.

I'll never live in another country. Maybe another state, but never another country. The primary factor in determining where I will live has always been the weather.

Reply to
Joe

LOL! WTF are you talking about? The sheer brilliance of your post just shines through...

Right.

"TranSurgeon" wrote in news:L%CGe.196448 $x96.6726@attbi_s72:

friendly

automatically

triumph"

Reply to
Joe

once more, Einstein:

when you 'change plugs and wires', you are REPLACING with a 'specified part'that is the same as the original in the eyes of the EPA

when you swap to a lower-temp thermostat, you are changing to a 'non-specified part', you are making MODICATIONS that will affect emissions

I hopw this helps with your obvious comprehension difficulty

Reply to
TranSurgeon

".boB" > My 360's basically stock with a 185 thermo and it runs great. A/C on

I've had the 160 degree thermostat in my 98 Durango for a couple weeks now and unless it's cool outside it's not going to stay at 160 degrees. Yesterday, with temps above 85 degrees mine would stay in the middle of the Temp range on the gauge. If it's sitting at idle in the heat it's going to be in the middle range. The only time that it actually stays at 160 degrees (the little mark on the left side of guage) is when it's in the 70's outside and moving. That hypertech programmer might be nice to fix the tire ratio. My 98 was supposed to come with some 15 rims but, someone had already put a set of the 16 inch aluminum on there like the newer Dakotas and Durangos have. My speedometer actually shows that it is going around 1.5 mph faster than it actually is or so says my GPS receiver. Oh yeah, the trip computer on my Durango shows that it was averaging 16.5 mpg on the interstate @ 70 mph yesterday and that was with 3.92 gears ;) and no I don't know if that's accurate. It'll get even higher mpg @ 55 mph on that trip computer.

PS. I'm ready to remove the catalytic converters and dual out the exhaust now after seeing all these epa commies in here.

Ben

Reply to
Ben in TN

And I'm sure you have proof of this, so why not post the information?

Reply to
Max Dodge

As does the sheer ignorance of yours.

Reply to
Max Dodge

We aren't the enemy Ben, just telling you what the rules say. I'm all in favor of allowing mods and doing a simple sniff test. After all, the important part is what comes out the tailpipe, not whats under the hood. But the laws aren't written that way. And everyone who is in this hobby deserves to know what the rules are so they can find the best ways to avoid detection.

Reply to
Max Dodge

"Max Dodge" wrote in news:KqPGe.3419$DJ5.479 @trnddc07:

It's simply not worth the time.

Reply to
Joe

"TranSurgeon" wrote in news:OmMGe.223786$xm3.73801@attbi_s21:

Now that's a pretty big ASSumption. So what happens when you put parts other than the 'specified parts' in, Mr. BrainSurgeon? D-oh.

The only comprehension difficulty I have at this point is understanding how an idiot like you can actually operate a computer. But wonders never cease, eh?

Reply to
Joe

"Max Dodge" wrote in news:nrPGe.3429$DJ5.366 @trnddc07:

Comeback of the year. Whoa.

Reply to
Joe

Ok, now you will be getting the cleaning bill for my monitor and keyboard and you owe me another cup of coffee :-)

Reply to
TBone

Yeah, I figured you'd be right on that. Care for the last word? Or will you be providing proof of your claims?

Awaiting your display of brilliance,

Reply to
Max Dodge

So you simply don't have it, do you? I mean, its worth the time to reply to a one line quip with a worn out line of your own, but to supply proof is beynd your limited time resources?

I think the regulars can see where this is going. The last word is yours..... if you've got time, that is.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Why would anyone do that?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That would be game, set and match.

Glad to see ya haven't lost your touch Max.

Have to start a new best friend list for ya.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

For the same reasons that they would put the wrong thermostat in it.

Reply to
TBone