360 thermostat location

Page 4 of 5

Comeback of the year. Whoa.

Yeah, I figured you'd be right on that. Care for the last word? Or will you be providing proof of your claims?
Awaiting your display of brilliance,
--
Max

Wow, Roy's actually trying to keep score. Another lively weekend, eh?

No need to keep score. You talk about a lively weekend? You have around 15 post's over the past couple of day's dancing for Max. Guess you are having one. Keep up the entertainment, I'll check back on ya tonight and turn out the lights.

Whatever floats your boat, bucko. Have a good one.
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:56:53 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

He is what he is.
beekeep

hi, Greggy
still being an asshole, eh ?

Have you ever known someone who was fined for putting a lower temp. thermostat in a vehicle? I can see being fined for cutting off a cat - but for changing a 'stat? I find that a little over the top

The fact that it's running cooler may affect emissions in a negative way.

That's not the point. You MAY lose your license for travelling 1MPH over the speed limit, too... I'm looking for actual first-hand knowledge of a fine being levied.

My thought was that if the emissions are over the limit, the vehicle won't pass inspection, and if the driver gets caught driving without a valid inspection sticker, he'll get fined.
So based on that, I guess it's possible to draw the conclusion that you can be fined for installing a low-temp thermo. Not that I'm defending the supposition...
Actually, in a lot of states vehicles with a GVWR of 8800 and over are not subject to emissions testing. So, in NC it isn't even an issue for any sort of law enforcement agency.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Down here in SoFla we don't have any kind of inspection let alone emissions testing. Basically, if it's titled, licensed, and insured, it's on the road legally.

and if the emissions station guy has had a bad week, and decides to dig a bit....................

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass because there's no inspection here, not that it wouldn't pass anyway.
When it's 95 out and I'm in stand-still traffic and the a/c's on full blast, I want the truck to run a bit cooler, so I'll use the 180. End of story.
Hey Joe....a kill-file is a great thing to have for newsgroups.
--
Laszlo Almasi

Nah, it's fun to read everything.

LOL, complete BS. Do you think that they have either the time, motivation, or permission to take the vehicle apart to look??? All they will do is say you are running cold, tell you that you need to get it fixed, and fail you.

In California, the State does use remote emission sensing, and they can tell you the emissions along with a photo of the lic plate of the offending vehicle. They then send a letter to the owner of the vehicle, requesting a smog inspection. If that is not done, then you are unable to re-register your vehicle till it is completed. They also use the data collected from the remote sensing units to show the legislators what the status of the emissions are from area to area. This data is used to determine if a county needs to be within the Biannual inspection program. It is also used to determine how effective the present smog regulations are. In many cases lowering the operating temp of and engine will cause the engine to run rich. It will not go into closed loop operation. The mileage will drop off, It may cause the cat to plug, excessive fuel will wash the cylinder walls and reduce lubrication and increase the wear factor. The oil will be diluted and that will also increase wear. For us Tec's, I say go ahead and lower the operating temp. We can always use the repair business. On the newer vehicles the computers will realize the temperature is not within the operating range and will then ignore the signal from the temperature sensor if the temperature is not reached within a set time period. And yes, it is against Fed and State law to tamper with emmision control devices. And yes you can be charged with the crime. Clyde