4 x 4 Not working???

Ok so now the winter is among us I am running in 4x4 but am having an issue.

When in 4x4 and in second gear I give it gas and it seems to hesitate and then "clunk" into 4x4.

Is this because one of my hubs is not engaging? I have a 318 5 speed standard.

Also in 4x4 it feels like I am hydroplaning.

Thanx Help

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

The year and specific vehicle might help.

Reply to
TBone

Whoops sorry

1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 318 short box 5 speed slt laramie
Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

All right, that's a part time 4X4. What conditions are you driving it in while in 4 wheel drive? You do know that you shouldn't be using it on dry roads that way, right? Please explain more clearly what you mean by hesitation in second gear? Are you talking about hesitation or binding? I hope that you are talking about second gear on the transmission and are not trying to shift into low range while driving. Also make sure that ALL of your tires are the same size. Part time 4X4's have a hard time if any of them are different. As for the hydroplaning feeling, that is normal in slippery conditions because now the speed of your front wheels are now being controlled by the drive train instead of free wheeling at the speed of the truck and may be sliding or spinning, especially in a turn. It takes a little getting used to playing with the throttle to stop it from doing that but that is all part of the fun.

Reply to
TBone

Ok it is in snow and very slippery road.

well when in second gear I give it gass and the rear spins then "clunk" and it feels like it goes into four wheel driver, ( i have already engaged it)

Nope just in 4 wheel high range.

tires are all the same size.

Never really felt the hydroplanning though before. Maybe cuz I am more leary.

yes I agree its fun. :)

Thanx for the input..... :)

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

I'm not sure when you feel the "clunk", but its possible its taking longer than you expect to engage. One note, on the NV transfer cases, maintaining proper fluid level is essential, as it has its own oil pump. Too little fluid, and operation can be sluggish or stuck in 2wd.

I'm also not sure why it feels like its hydroplaning. In 4wd, you should be able to feel the front end grip, at least some of the time. If it were actually hydroplaning (As Tbone suggests) you would be out of control and

4wd would be useless. If it is indeed hydroplaning, the likely cause is something other than the 4wd operation, such as tires, road conditions or speed.
Reply to
Max Dodge

If you have limited slip what you might be hearing is it coupleing up.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

How many miles are on your tires? Are they oversize ( if you went wider than stock)? Is the snow especially wet as compared to a dry snow?

These are all factors in the hydroplaning feeling:

Worn out tread = reduced traction.

Wider tread = reduced contact patch pressure ( the tire tries to "float" on top the snow instead of digging in a bit for traction)

Wet vs dry snow = wet snow is just plain more slippery.

Budd

Johnath> Ok it is in snow and very slippery road.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Are you shifting into 4WD when stopped? It's possible the front axle isn't engaging. Try engaging 4WD while rolling (let off the throttle some). Or, if you have to engage while stopped (stuck, for example). Shift it into

4WD, then SLOWLY let the clutch out. You want to give the front axle a chance to engage before hammering on it.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Only does it in second gear ???, never third-or first?? If any chance of other gears doing same thing-check the front slider coupling (I'm assuming you have an old process front diff- (Dana 44??) actuator for vacuum loss ( hoses-etc) hydroplaning- check that all tires are nearly same rolling radius ( remove one -make a mark on the ground-roll exactly one revolution-make another mark-check all others, ) if you have very much difference (even though tires say they are same size) your truck will try to squiggle and catch up whenever it gets the chance...( side to side -sometimes front to rear)

Reply to
tkctnc

yeah sounds like it would be the fron slider coupling or the vaccum switch on the transfer case.

Reply to
scrapir

yeah sounds like it would be the fron slider coupling or the vaccum switch on the transfer case.

Reply to
scrapir

Howdy folks sorry it took so long Christmas got to me.

Ok here we go.

  1. Tires have about 22k on them.
  2. They are stock size.
  3. Either case of snow.
  4. Fluid level is perfect and clean.
  5. Either stopped or running I shift into 4x4.
  6. I let the clutch out slow as I am real anal about my truck.
  7. The clutch is brand new (10 months old).
  8. Just second gear it seems to.
  9. Is the coupling and vacuum switch easy to replace and or expensive?

Thanx again all HUGELY appreciated.

JAS

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

Alright - here's an important question: will it only clunk once, when first shifting into 4WD, or can you make it clunk anytime when in 2nd gear?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Anytime....

Thanx

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

Hmmm... how about if you start out in 1st, and goose the throttle a few times... any noise then, or is this strictly isolated to 2nd gear?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

good quetion. I will try that tommorow.. any thoughts ?

n Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:58:02 GMT, "Tom Lawrence" wrote:

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

Yeah - if it doesn't clunk then, I have absolutely no idea what else to tell you :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Stirctly 2nd gear

give it gass seems to pause then go

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel

Trucks in the shop now so I will let ya all know whats the matter :)

Thanx all :)

JAS

Reply to
Johnathon Aaron Steel