44RE Transmission interchange

I have a lot of miles on my 44RE Transmission IN A 97 DAKOTA 4x4 with 5.2 eng. & wondered if a later model like the 45RFE or a 46RE would work. Or is it too much trouble? The
45RFE is out of a 2002 with 4.7 eng. (4x4) 44RE Transmission interchange

The 46RE would be a possibility (don't know the specifics - bell housing pattern/size, overall length, etc. etc.), but no way will a 45RFE swap in without a lot of electronics work... completely different PCM-wise. The 46RE should be electronically compatible with the 44RE, so it's just a question of physical fit.
Thanks Tom that the info I was looking for. Guess thats why the newer models are cheaper on ebay.

Thanks Tom that the info I was looking for. Guess thats why the newer models are cheaper on ebay.