46RE Trans Question

1998 Ram QC 1500 2wd, auto, 5.9L, 3.55 LS, 102k miles.
Here's my question concerning my trans (it's a 46RE 4 speed auto)
During acceleration at highway speeds (65-75mph) when I let my foot off the
gas with the intention of letting the vehichle speed stabilize if feels as if the trans or torque converter remains locked or something..... the engine RPM's drop pretty quickly and you feel as though you are thrown forward when it happens...
any idea as to what is occuring?????? I haven't changed fluid or filter nor have I adjusted bands in ~50k miles....so I'm due for that.....but to me it doesn't seem like what I am feeling is due to old fluid as it is still red and smells as it should (ie---doesn't smell burnt)
thanks for the help... rich
Any trouble codes?
--
Max

GeekBoy wrote:

the 46re is not a bad trany it is the reincarnation of the old torque flight tranys from the 60's. Just make sure that you lock out the o/d under 40 mph or when you have a load or towing. Take care of it and it will take care of you.(new fluid and filter)

Well I got th infamous 47RE tranny. Thank goodness its got a DDT torque converter. Though I still have a problem when the truck sits for over a day. The blasted fluid runs out of the tranny and I have to idle for a couple of minutes until the it gets pressure back up before it will move the truck. After that works flawless. Can even tow at max weight in OD, even small hills. Just not the max legal up-hill grade rate of I think on interstate is 6%?
Haven't had time to try to pull them yet.....My code puller is very basic...I'm not even sure it will pull tranny codes.....

May not need a code puller.
Got one on the truck
Ignition ON-OFF three times.

Not on a '98...

Oh,..as time when on I was thinking it was a 99

GeekBoy wrote:

That doesn't work on my '99 either.
--
Ken

Doesn't work on a '99, either. '00 was the first year that would display OBD-II codes on the odometer.
Codes would be a key here, since it could be an electronic malfunction.
--
Max

That's my thought too....electronic malfunction.....I will have to get out there and see what I can find....

No codes from the code reader.....
I changed the fluid with ATF4 and cyled about 12 quarts thru the transmission to get the old fluid out and a greater amount of new fluid in......adjusted the bands per the shop manual and the initial problem at highway speeds and acceleration seems to have remedied itself....
however now on initial take off from a stop sign it feels like there is a slight slip and then the 1st gear fully engages.....

Check for codes again, since that may show what I suspect, either a TPS or governor solenoid problems.
--
Max