4wd shifter for 96 dakota

My '96 Dakota Club Cab SLT V8 4wd shifter has been nearly imposible to shift. I spray with CRC teflon penitrating spray and it takes 2 hands to pull it back to 4wd and my foot to push it into 2wd. Is this symptomatic
of this model truck or is there something that can be done so my wife can shift it without the neighbors help. Thanks jpat
In article

Take it apart, clean the rust off and re-lube it with anti-seize.
.