5.2 vs 5.9

Long time lurker here, with a question.
I currently have a 1999 Ram 1500 with a 5.2, 2 wd, auto, 150 k kilometers (93 K miles), basic truck with air and cruise. I'm pulling a 4800 pd. dry
weight travel trailer and finding it's really underpowered for hills and windy conditions.
I have a line on a 1999 Ram 1500 with a 5.9, 4x4, auto, 120 k km, with air ,cruise etc.
Assuming the standard gear ratios are the same, can I expect to see a relatively favourable increase in towing capability???? Both trucks are in very good condition.
GordG wrote:

The 5.9 is slightly bigger, so you'll see the a slight increase in power. Unless the 5.9 truck is otherwise better than what you have (more options, better condition), it's generally cheaper to increase the power of what you already have. As long as your truck has been taken care of, there's still plenty of miles left in it. Anytime you buy a used vehicle, you could be buying somebody else's problems.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Good advise on possibly buying someones elses problems. You would be money, time and power ahead if you simply regeared the rear axle to a deeper ratio. You do not need a bigger engine as your 318 will do the job for you with that weight with some 3.92 or 4.10 gears behind it. Since it is a 2WD it will not be too painfully expensive because there is only one axle to change and you will feel the difference without doubt. You likley have a 3.21 or at most a 3.55 now which would lack towing that amount of weight. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

YES!
We have a TT with your exact dry weight, about 6,000# with water, food and other stuff you "just have to bring"...
Pulled it for a while with a neighbors 99 ram with 5.2, auto, 3:55... Barely did the job, IMO..
Bought a 99 ram QQ 5.9, auto 3:55 and the difference was very clear, especially in the torque..
From what I understand, the 5.2 has almost the same HP but lower torque and is a great all purpose engine, but the 5.9 is was the towing engine if you had to drive a gasser..
Quite a few friends that have the 5.2 have driven our 5.9 and noticed the difference when not towing, but when we took a trip from CA to WA and pulled those grades, the torque difference in the 5.9 was really appreciated! YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Ok thanks. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking.
GordG wrote:

The 5.9L is a big gain over the 5.2L for towing. Just as the 5.7L hemi is a good step up in power over the 5.9L.

It's all about torque...
You'll be getting a bigger engine but adding the 4x4 you'll also be gaining alot of weight. I think it's a wash.

IMO, 4x4 and towing go together like military intelligence or feminine logic, but the torque difference between the 2 engines isn't going to be nullified by the weight or friction of 4 wheel drive..
(gonna burn in hell for the F L comment)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
GordG wrote:

I had a 2000 Ram CC with the 5.2L. It was a dog. It struggled to pull my 5000lb trailer. Even when not towing I had to turn OD off except on perfectly flat highways or downhill. It had trouble keeping up at 75mph, not towing, with OD on if there was even a very slight uphill (interstate going up and overpass).
I got rid of it and went with a 2001 Ram QC with the 5.9L. Huge difference. Far more power. It easily towed my trailer in all conditions.