5.2L to a 5.9L

Started up my '98 Durango 4x4 today to hear it knocking. Gets much louder at about 2000 RPM. The wife ran it out of oil a couple of days ago.
Anyway, I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or experience with
replacing my 5.2L with a new or rebuilt 5.9L. They seem to be running about the same price and I know Durangos came with both. Will I need to do anything else besides just swapping out motors?
Use the original computer, but use the 5.9 injectors. Remember the 5.2 was internally balanced and the 5.9 is externally balanced, so you cannot mix either the harmonic balancer nor the flywheel/flexplate. Steve

That's awesome Steve. Thanks so much for the heads up and your help.

Fred Aston wrote:

Think a bearing was spun? That should be cheaper to fix than a new engine but the 5.9L will perform FAR better and might even get slightly better mpg.
miles, You are exactly correct about the performance and economy. When I changed from 5.2 to a 5.9 I saw 2mpg better economy. That extra stroke is worth 40 ft/lbs across the entire speed range at virtually no extra cost. Steve

I'm quite positive a bearing is spun. I'm still sizing up my options.

Is it an automatic or a 5 speed?
"Fred Aston" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Explain to her about the basic functions of oil?
Steve

or just keep it topped of for her. if it is leaking so bad she can't go somewhere without it all running out then there is another issue that should have been addressed.
i agree that the 5.9 will be a major upgrade over the 5.2. better mileage, more power and more durable. michael
That's just the thing.......I don't have any signs of leaks anywhere. Even checked the coolant for mixing. It doesn't smoke a puff either. Still scratching my head over that. I'm sure the repair will reveal alot. Admittedly, I should have been keeping a closer eye on the levels though.

Automatic