5.9 Cummins Belt Squeal

Hi Group!

Have been having a squealing noise coming out of the front right side of my

99 CTD. Each time the belt is changed the squeal goes away for awhile but seems to always return.

On the third belt now in the past several weeks.

Anyone in the group have any similar experience and maybe found the cure?

TIA

Fred

Reply to
Fearless Fred

most likely an idler pulley bearing

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Try cleaning the surfaces of the pulleys that the back of the belt rides on.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Thanks Ken will give that a try ...

Fred

Reply to
Fearless Fred

It eliminated the squeal on my Dakota. It may well be non-model specific. At least it is cheap, quick, and relatively easy.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Is the squeal while it is running or just when shutting down?

Only a just-installed serpentine belt will not squeak for a week or so... then it will squeak because of the inertia of the accessories when the compression of the engine stops the engine.

The squeak is pretty normal unless it happens when the engine is running.

Reply to
Nza