500 ppm diesel still readily available......

Page 2 of 3

Catalyst on a diesel.
*big grin*
--
----------------------------
-Chris

It sure does exist!! It's right there in the parts book... next to the V-10 knock sensors.
;^)
Mike

Fact and Fiction in the same sentence....sheesh!
oh by the way as a side note, i was cleaning the tool box out the other day and found what was left of a 2.7L knock sensor, i remember this engine specifically. it was a intrepid (gray in color i believe) that the people driving it brought to us on a wrecker. aparently they drove it till it stopped repeatedly, melted the knock sensor off the block, the heads were so warped that you didnt even have to use the straight edge to see it.
that was without a doubt the best job of overheating one ive ever seen anyone do.
since i found that little peice (dont know why it got stuck in the back of the box but it did) and i recently found it, i thought you might enjoy the story.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Mike Simmons wrote:

In this case, the DC documentation could be correct, but it doesn't *prove* anything. DC official documentation also refers to the LH car coolant outlet housing as a thermostat housing when the thermostat is not within 2 feet of it. :)
SnoMan wrote:

You find mis-use of semi-technical terms a lot in stuff published for the masses. Two examples that come to mind (certainly there are others): (1) The engine coolant outlet housing on the Chrysler LH vehicles is exactly where traditionally the thermostat is on most engines, but the thermostat on the LH's is on the inlet side of the engine (located low on the block on the driver's side). But people are alwyas referring to the outlest housing as the thermostat housing - even the Chrysler FSM erroneously refers to it as the thermostat housing in at least two places. (2) The cushioning devices used in valve trains were traditionally in line with the valve stem actuation (typicaly push rods) - and were called valve lifters. Now, more often than not, they are on the opposite side of a rocker - not directly in series with the valve actuation, and they are more accurately referred to as valve lash adjusters. Yet on the street and on car forums, and even among highly qualified mechanics - no doubt even in technical articles, they will be incorrectly referred to as valve lifters.
So, though I have no horse in this race, I can buy SnoMan's argument that even the technical gurus may refer to something that technically is not a catalytic converter as a catalyitc converter. All that means is you can't believe everything you read - even by the "experts" - if you're doing so with an eye for technical accuracy.

So - if you have to get a bigger engine to recover the power lost to improved emissions, will there in fact be no net gain in the emissions? IOW - you can fool yourself with percentages if you turn a blind eye to the total *quantity* of emissions if you're using bigger engines to make up for lost power in meeting the new regs. I.E., unintnded consequences (or pretended ignorance by those who may understand this but don't want to bring this to the public's attention, which wouldn't matter anyway due to it's short attention span and inability to ever peel more than two layers off the onion on any given subject).
--
Bill Putney

My typos... 15 ppm

You are SO full of shit... the new 6.7L diesel now being sold is compliant with 2010 emissions regulations:
http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?siteId=1&langId 33&dataId36&newsInfo=true&menuId=4
Bill Putney wrote:

No, you didn't miss anything. And yet, just yesterday, I kept hearing people (who live in the US and presumably SHOULD know the facts) calling into a radio show that was discussing global warming talking about how "the US just HAS to start cleaning up the mess we've made."
Uh... exSCUSE me!!! Who led the world in auto emission controls beginning in the mid 1960s when US cars had PCV and vapor control systems and the rest of the world still had crankcase draft tubes?
WHO led in the elimination of leaded fuel and addition of catalytic convertors to reduce NOx and CO in 1975 while oh-so-responsible European countries had leaded fuel into the NINETIES!!!
Who led the way in cutting back (and ultimately eliminating) the use of CFCs in air conditiners and manufacturing?
Sure as hell not Europe, Asia, Central America, South America, or Mexcico... Hmmm. that leaves (wait for it....) The United States!
I'm sick and tired of hearing people bellyache about the US "not cleaning up" or not signing Kyoto when we're ALREADY cleaner than Kyoto requires countries like China and India to be. Kyoto is a crock. And its incumbent on the REST of the frickin' world to catch up to what the US has done before they start throwing stones. We're waiting.
Sorry. Pet peeve of mine.

I got a friend who has a 1969 Camero SS. His father got it new in Califorina shortly returning from Vietnam. It originally had a smog pump and cat on them.

NOT! Homework assignment for you: Find out what year the Camaro first got a catalytic converter. I'll give you a hint. It starts with 19 and ends with 75.
--
Ken

You're right, Kalifornia might have gotten EGR a year earlier than the rest of us but unleaded gas, needed for converters didn't hit until 1975. We had low and SOME no lead but not much.
BigIronRam wrote:

emission levels without one, it didn't have to have one. But *most* vehicles needed catcons to meet '75 (and later) emissions. Light trucks had a different standard, and many got away without catcons for a few more years. That's why a 1978 Dodge Little Red Express was quicker than a '78 Chevy Corvette (well, ONE of the reasons). The '78 LRE didn't need cats and used a true dual exhaust, the 'vette being a car had to meet tighter emissions. By '79, the requirements had tightened so that the 1979 Dodge LRE truck did have catcons. The '78s are now much more desirable as collector vehicles.

Buwhahahaha! Was seeing if anyone was paying attention and knew their stuff ;-)

You just showed that you don't. <G>

A pump maybe, but a cat in 1969. Where was it mounted?

GeekBoy wrote:

Smog pump: YES Cat? Not in '69.
Steve wrote:

Feel better, Steve? :)
Bill Putney wrote:

Yeah, now I'm peeved about cheap "made in China" fluorescent tubes that only last 2 months :-p
Make sure it's really the tubes and not a failing ballast.