7-Pin Hitch Wiring - Auxillary Position

Hello,

I've been reading about 7-pin trailer wiring, and that is an "auxiliary" pin on them, and that it is now often used for backup lights. Does any know on a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 if that is indeed for backup lights?

-Lint

For reference, what I read:

(COLORS MAY VARY) PIN COLOR GAUGE PURPOSE

1 white 10 common ground 2 blue 12 electric brake 3 green 14 tail/running lights 4 black 10 battery charge (+) 5 red 14 left turn/stop 6 brown 14 right turn/stop 7 yellow 14 auxiliary/back up
Reply to
Lint Radley

Here ya go.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Thanks for the link Scott. I had actually looked at that site earlier. Unless I am missing something, I don't think it said definitely for Dodge trucks whether or not is backup. I went back and looked again, am I missing something?

-L>> Hello,

Reply to
Lint Radley

Pin 7 is for backups on Dodges. It says that several times. And, that's how mines wired.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Yes, it's wired for backup lights.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have been doing the "trailer wiring" on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. After much research I have found that the Dodge Factory Manual simply has all the facts but they are not very specific. So I have traced all the rear wiring and made the decision to install 5 relays that are actuated by the rear wiring signals. Then I will run a fat #10 12v and a fat #10 ground stranded wire from the front to the relays. Then individual wires in a stranded cable to a metal shell 7 pin Bargman type connector. And on to the trailer.

More details if you want them.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace