74 dodge power wagon diesel

Is there a source for parts , engine , etc for 74 diesel power wagon. This is project truck. Needs a new seat , etc . Already got a Manuel on this truck . Did it come with dodge ram hood ornament ?

On Mon, 29 May 2006 00:02:51 +0000 (UTC), Drew Cutter

Neat project. I remeber when those were new and they did not make many of them. It had a surdy motor just not much HP. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
What would think this truck would bring if it was totally restored ? This project is being done by twins going into automobile / diesel school this fall . Better to have a gas or diesel engine if they want to sell this truck ? Right now its got a gas engine. Any problems that the boys should know about ?
SnoMan wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:10:27 +0000 (UTC), Drew Cutter
YOu are going to need to make sure that you install a vacum pump to run accessories that require it and heavier front springs for the added weight. If you really want to make it unique and bring a good dollar (if you want max profit) find a 440 V8 and put that in at as it was a option back then and some 4 wheeler would jump at getting a old restored Dodge with a 440 in it. If you do, use a 73 or later 440 as it will have hardened vaves and seat for unleaded fuel.

----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
The truck has a 360 in right now with low mileage.
SnoMan wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2006 16:16:05 +0000 (UTC), Drew Cutter

I know but since you were considering one type of engine change, you might consider a 440 swap too as it would be a whole new "animal". 440 powered ones are REALLY rare today and one restored would bring top dollar. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
SnoMan
<< If you do, use a 73 or later 440 as it will have hardened vaves and seat for unleaded fuel. >>
I thought this was a feature of the premium engine!
Bob AZ
SnoMan
<< If you do, use a 73 or later 440 as it will have hardened vaves and seat for unleaded fuel. >>
I thought this was a feature of the premium engine!
Bob AZ
SnoMan
<< If you do, use a 73 or later 440 as it will have hardened vaves and seat for unleaded fuel. >>
I thought this was a feature of the premium engine!
Bob AZ
If you are doing a first class restro YOU WILL NEVER get all your money back
I think the boys would be happy if they could get it offroad ready. Is a roll cage absolute necessary or does it depend on what type of offroad you are doing ? Any suggestion on where to find a 440 engine new or used ?
sqdancerLynn wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

If the truck is for off-road use only a roll cage might be worthwhile. Roll cages in street vehicles are a safety hazard unless all the occupants wear a helmet every time the vehicle is driven. If you get in a wreck and hit your head on the cage it's like getting hit in the head with a metal baseball bat. Padding on the bars isn't very effective either. That only reduces the impact to getting hit in the head with a padded bat. A frame mounted roll bar in the bed would be a better choice if you drive it on the street.
As far as finding a used engine, I'd first check the local newspaper for cheap running 440 donor vehicles. If you find nothing there check the junk-yards and eBay.
Big block truck conversion article: http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php?action=howtoshow ;ide
--
Ken

Nosey wrote:

You want one out of a motorhome or a boat. Do not worry about post-73 as you will want to have hardened exhaust valve seats installed in the heads: the induction hardened castings are of little benefit. I have seen running , but disgusting, motorhomes for less than a good engine: find one where the duffer died in it for a really good buy. Getting rid of the carcass is difficult, unless burning is an option.
I would rather have a 360 or a 383 for daily driving in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton because of fuel mileage. A 440 gives a little more power, lots more fuel burn. Look to intelligent gearing and tuning-exhaust, cam, and EFI-for pulling power, not raw displacement, unless you have a secret stash of free fuel.

When do ever get your money back? <G>
Roy