77 power wagon with 360 problem

Another white smoke source can be brake fluid being sucked in thru the power booster if the master cylinder is leaking badly out its rear seal. Only seen this once in 25 years of brake work.

Reply to
Diamond Dave

yea you guys really have some great info and ideas...tomorrow ill stop ovr his house and i will pull off the vacume line going to the brake booster and i will plug it and see if it quits smoking..(he doesnt really work on anything, but hes learning...i do most of the work on his truck for him)....i do know that it uses brake fluid perdy bad....i figured it was just rear brake cylinders leaking it.....he has to put that special silicone stuff in it....thanks alot and i will check it out....you guys really are awsome..thanks again

Reply to
bassfishin911

ok well i put new intake manifold gaskets and a different manifold on the motor..before i put the gaskets on i made sure that the manifold fitted the angles and everything of the heads..it fit like a glove...absolutly perfect..it did have oil inside the old manifold that i took off..should it be there??i put everything back together and shes still smokin like a b*tch...what should i do now?????thanks

Reply to
bassfishin911

Still white smoke or blue?

it just started smokin out the tailpipe very bad he runs it to and from work and it burns about a quart of oil a day.....Head gasket???? valve seals???? what could it be???

Let's see, a fresh rebuild and it's burning a quart a day...broken oil rings?

Reply to
BigIronRam

There should not be oil in the intake runners. Was the oil evenly distributed throughout the manifold or was it only found in one section? Are you using a PCV valve? If you take the oil fill cap off while the engine is running do excessive vapors escape? It's normal for some vapors to whisp out of the oil fill but it shouldn't be pumping out smoke. When you did the compression test what were the results? What did the spark plugs look like? Were any them wet or heavily carbon crusted? Do you have milky looking oil or coolant? If you run it with the radiator cap loose does it quit smoking?

Reply to
Nosey

If it's using that much oil, and it was a gasket issue. I would think you would see an obvious problem when you pulled off the manifold, like places where no contact was made when it was tightened up. There isn't any crack in it, is there? like where oil splash would be sucked right in. My 77 Power Wagon's 360 didn't have a single straight edge on the heads. I replaced them with a set I found in a junkyard right out of a freshly wrecked Charger. Those were straight, and after porting them, and solving the intake leak issue, it finally ran great and used no oil.

I just wonder if the thing has messed up rings, so bad it's just pumping oil. There would be massive blowby, and taking off the oil filler would definitely show it.

A compression check would probably show several nearly dead cylinders, or one horrible one.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

The 340 was only produced for a small number of years. Thinking the run went from 68 to 72. Do know the 360 was the 340's replacement. No Dodge truck ever came with the 340. Highly doubt the military PW even had the

360. If te engine is original then thin k 318.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Rings installed upside down/ cylinders never honed?

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY