82 W150 no spark

Page 4 of 4

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
No, you aren't.
--
Max

I thought that we were done? Back to your childish reactions again I see but we all know that is your way to admit to being wrong or not knowing everything that you claim to. Now go study up in that FSM again, maybe you might actually learn how the system works.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

Tom, if he disconnects the ballast, he won't get ANY voltage to the ECU or the coil.

Or he could, as Max said check the resistance: primary "+" to Primary"-" about 1 ohm. Secondary tower to primary "-" about 1-4 K ohms.

Then how come you're screwing up?

Gee, Tom, do you think he might have taken the cap off to check rotor / cap condition and maybe bumped the engine over?
No, not you, you wouldn't give anyone the credit to do that.
Budd

That is simply not true. His ECU does NOT get its voltage from the ballast resistor as he has a single resistor and no pin 3 on his unit. Pin 1 gets voltage DIRECTLY from the ignition switch as does the ballast resistor. The coil does get its voltage from the ballast resistor EXCEPT WHEN CRANKING where its voltage also comes directly from the ignition switch! The purpose of this test is to make sure that the ballast resistor bypass during cranking is working. Next time, understand what you are talking about before jumping in to defend your friend and wind up just making an ass out of yourself.

That still doesn't guarantee that the coil is good as there could be a short to ground in the windings that will not be seen measuring terminal to terminal.

That would once again be you Budd. Perhaps you should review the operation before you just jump in and look stupid.

As a matter of fact, I don't know that he did and neither do you.

You know what they say about ASSumptions, right??? In many cases it is the obvious that gets overlooked because everyone ASSumes that it was done when it in fact was not.

No, Tom, the mistake was made by you as you did not mention a single thing about needing to hold the key in the START position to supply voltage to the coil to be measured.
Thank you for screwing up and beginning the name calling as usual.
Btw, the ass is a excellent domesticated beast of burden that is known for loyalty, determination and surprising intelligence.
And I would rather be compared to an ass than to be compared to you.
Budd

Really Budd, did you miss this:

It is still in the text below without the caps. Now perhaps you could explain to the rest of us how to crank the engine without turning the key to the start position, unless of course you ASSumed that he would hotwire the starter. You just keep digging deeper.

Once again you are wrong as I didn't call you names, I simply suggested what you were doing to yourself. And speaking of screwing up, what about your BS that the ECU gets its power from the ballast resistor and before you say it, he already said that he had the 4 pin version of the ECU in the post that you replied to.

IOW, the polar opposit of the way you are acting again. Grow up Budd.

I guess that you would rather be compared to an ass rather than a man because you are still not man enough to admit to being wrong or jhaving enough class to just shut up.

Ok, I missed it, so shoot me. But you'll NEVER remember me admitting to this or anyother mistake, will you?

My, my, it was Max you accused of that mistake, not me. You hate me so much you have to yell at me for things I never did.
And you insinuated I was an ass, the same as calling me one.

No, you grow up and practice the tolerance you liberals accuse everyone else of needing to have.

Did someone lie to you about you being a man again? No, Tom, I consider you to be the rectum of the group. Unwiped, hemorrhoidal, full of excrement and happiest when you're in the toilet even when in your usual condition of diarrhea of the brain.
You brag about being receptive of criticism, but you never, NEVER are. If anyone was to dare tell you where you screwed up, it opens them up for one of your vulagar tirades. Max and I seem to be the only ones with the constitution to tolerate your sheer idiocy.
Well, I've wasted my time on you again. I guess I keep hoping for a miracle to take place in you. Ah, well . . . .
Budd
John 3:16-17

If you actually admit to it but I doubt that you ever will. Face it Budd, you jumped in here for no other reason but to defend your buddy and attack me in your all too typical childish manor and were wrong and still not man enough to admit to it. All you can say is that you missed one point but you were actually WRONG on everything.

Once again Budd, did you forget when you said this:

you from making the claim about pin 3 that doesn't exist on his unit. As for hating you, I really don't know you well enough and with the way you have been acting, don't really have any desire to.

No, I said that you are acting like one and you are.

Grow up Budd and stop trying to spin it into something else.

Now who is the one who resorts to pure name calling? Who seems to hate who now???? And BTW, so much for that admission of error now that you are once again accusing me of having diarrhea of the brain along with the rest of your childish name calling.

The problem here Budd is that I am not wrong unlike you and you are just too hatefull to admit to it or even to just shut up and like I said, so much for that admission of error but then again, it would take a real man to do that.

Yes Budd, you did waste time, the time it took for everyone to read your typical childish crap which does nothing for the OP or anyone else interested in how this ignition works. The sad thing is that once again, I let you and the other idiot drag me into this childish arguing again but it's sadly as much my fault as anything for allowing it. At least now I eventually realize it and stop like now so feel free to have the last word Budd....

BUH-WA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!
With the evidence right in front of you that, unlike you, I admit my errors, you still deny the evidence. Thank you for proving your uselessness to the Human Species.

Face it, Tom, you jumped in because Max was giving correct answers and you weren't being noticed.

Ah, Tom, your continuous diatribes against my beliefs, my politics, my correct answers to questions, or just my presence in the group is all that is needed to prove you can't practice the tolerance you love to preach and your hatred of me.

Denial doesn't disprove fact ...you called me an ass as far as I'm concerned. Remember, Tom, I do have the right to be offendeed and you are very offensive.

I'm not spinning the statement. You need to grow up.

What's the matter, Tom, can't handle the truth about yourself? Once you called the first name, the gloves came off. Now go cry in a corner.

No matter how you deny it, it was an admission of error and it is your hatred that is making you deny the fact.

"and the other idiot" . . .I supposed that is not name calling either. Only in your little amoral universe, Tom.
Ah, let's see, last word . . . .ok . . . . Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, Ephesians 2:8-10.
Budd John 3:16-17
Of course you could test the coil, ballast resister, ignition switch and all the wiring in between, by simply, MOMENTARILY, grounding the negative side of the coil (ignition switch in "run" position) to a know good ground, while holding the high tension lead (coil output) near the block (grounded), you should get a spark when you remove the temporary ground lead on the negative side of the coil. The spark should repeat each time you ground the coil.

Yup. And when it doesn't happen, as the OP stated in his original post, you test each part of the system to determine the failure.
--
Max

It WILL happen unless the coil itself is defective as he already said that he has 12V on the coil.

The spark will occur every time you REMOVE the ground.

The odds of seeing that split second where the switch is on are much more in your favor if you have an oscilloscope. Since a multimeter is much more commonly used, you are very unlikely to see the voltage at anything less than 12v nominal on either side when testing it. This is particularly true with a digital meter.

Because I understand how it works, thats how I know.

The presence of 12v on the negative side (measured at the connector to the ECU) means the circuit is working fine. Funny how those factory test procedures actually test what they are designed to test.

Crack open the FSM and get back to me on this.

Ok, do I need to review with you that the circuit is NEVER grounded until the engine is turning? And that the circuit is only grounded for a split second? This since a build up and collapse of the coil field is designed to happen as quickly as possible. Therefore, if you want to see the circuit in a grounded condition, you need an oscilloscope. At all other times, the coil will show 12v nominal on both sides. Thats twice that I've explained this to you. One more time, and we're done here and you fail.

Yeah, because you are never wrong.

Except if you had read his test results, you would know that the pickup coil had the required resistance.

WRONG. So wrong, its hard to believe you actually posted that. The bolt is not permanently affixed to the ECU or the car body. Thus, rust can form betwen the bolt and the ECU OR between the bolt and the car body. Your test only shows how well the bolt is grounded. Thus, the proper test (which I posted from the FSM) is to go from pin five to the battery negative and look for continuity.

Ok, let me rephrase for you textbook types that have never troubleshot this system in reality. What I suggested was a test to see if the ignition switch was cutting power to the coil (as in, NO power) when in the "start" position. What I suggested is not a test for the coil circuit. The test for the coil circuit was to look for battery voltage at the 1,2 and 3 cavities in the connector to the ECU. If you dispute this last sentence, please take it up with the factory engineers.
We're done here.
--
Max

It is not as split second as you might think and a dwell meter will see it just fine. It will also show up on a multi-meter (especially a digital one) if you set it to AC.

By what you are saying, it really doesn't sound like you understand it all that well.

LOL, all that shows is that the harness is intact, not that the control circuitry or even the ECU is functional.

I don't need the FSM for this, it is far to simple and I have installed these on many mopars, both replacing point ignitions and the troublesome lean-burns.

I think that you need to take a lesson in coil operations. Did you forget what dwell angle means? You do know that magnetic fields take time to build, right?

Sure I am, just not this time. Must you always jump back into your childish mode when someone says something different from your idea? BTW, when have you ever admitted to being wrong about anything?

So what? That doesn't mean that it's position didn't change or that there isn't damage to the reluctor itself. There could also be a short in the pickup to ground but I see that you didn't bother to tell him to check for that. He also needs to unplug the pickup coil from the harness and check for continuity between either lead and a good ground and if any exists, the pickup coil is bad, IOW, it had better be an infinite resistance.

LOL, complete BS. The ECU gets its ground from those bolts and if they are tight and getting a good ground, then the ECU should also be properly grounded. Even you FSM says that if the pin 5 ground test fails, to TIGHTEN THE BOLTS.

It is funny thaty you would call me a textbook type when you are the one reading from the damn book and not really understanding what you are reading.

You were done.