85 dodge

i have a 85 dodge with a 318, my question is what is the proper procedure for checking the timing, i have a haynes book , but its information leaves alot
to the imagination ( the emmisions decal says 12 btdc ). the truck diesels sometimes when i shut it off and seems to lack in powers under a load. any information would be appreciated
With the problem you describe, it sounds like your idle speed/mixture is also a bit off. You'll need a vacuum guage and a timing light. Set your timing according to the emissions label, or perhaps a bit more, 14-16 won't hurt. Remember to read the label where it directs to pull the vacuum line from the distributor and plug it. After doing that, set idle speed with the set screw at the side of the carb, using the emissions label to verify the RPM, about 700-800 would be correct. The idle mixture screws probably have cap limits on them, you'll have to eliminate them in all likelyhood. Use the vacuum guage, connected to the base of the carb, to adjust idle mixture to the point where you get the best vacuum reading. Double check rpm, reset if needed. Now double check timing, and verify the correct setting with your RPM adjustments made. This should cure the dieseling problem.
The reason all this is happening is because the idle mixture screws are "limited" in how far you can turn them, which is fine when the truck is new, but not now. So instead of adjusting the idle mixture, they've used timing and idle speed to compensate for poor idle mixture.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

but it only has 74,000 miles and has a straight body . thanks again

Tim,
How many miles are on the engine? If you're using / burning oil it can contribute to you dieseling by carboning up the cylinders. The cure is a rebuild.
--
Budd Cochran

John 3:16-17, Ephesians 2:8-9
Budd Cochran wrote:

first -- his advice is bang on -- and i really hope that's all it is. weak under load -- not good -- we know if budd's right, you might want to hot plug the weak cylinders and get rid of it (or rebuild as budd says, or throw in another motor if you have one, rebuild later)
rach
ps. i have an 86ish with a weak cylinder #5 on my SL6, and the plugs get carboned up way to quickly although only carbon out exhaust on startup -- think I'll drop in my other SL6 (well, not on my own) as soon as the bloody thing will go more than 2 blocks and i can get it home my 91 dodge 318 i sold for $100 -- didn't need it -- there are some good deals around