85 dodge w/ 318

still in trouble i was trying to adj the idle mixture but is a after market carb wiht no set screws to be found so i took it off to replace it. i took the old car ( holley, not sure model ) and found it full of charcoal, is this a common problem and what can i do to correct it before i install new carb

Reply to
tim thurber via CarKB.com

I have an 86 and an 82-86 D150 and chilton manual

Can you clean it up (put it in a bucket of gasoline, let it soak, scrub it with a wire brush and clean it up with a rag), try to find any marks and numbers, and take pictures of it at various angles -- reply here with jpgs or gifs? I can probably match it up (and maybe find the screws etc).

It is common they are greasy on the outside and carbonated inside somewhat. That will be fixed by the time you clean it up. ALso check for worn out gaskets, seals etc

Rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

The charcoal canister has ruptured. You can replace it, lots of money or do what I did. I used an old Ford fuel filter, the kind that's just an enclosed screen and put it in the line to the carburetor. That allows vapors through, as intended and keeps the charcoal pellets out of the carburetor where they stop up the main jets.

Robert

Reply to
BigIronRam

heaven's sakes that's cool! My solution would be to tow home another 80's dodge to get the part rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson