86 ram not start

I've got an 86 Dodge Ram 250 pickup. Won't start. I turn the key & it clicks, but the starter won't engage. It's done this a couple times, I thought it was the automatic tranny saftey lock (which I can't find). But,
under the dash, the one thing that clicks (when I turn the key) is a box labeled "Automatic Shutdown". Could that be the problem? Is there any way to bypass it?
Stoopid truck. I'm running out of money.
I had a similar starter issue with an 85 1/2 ton 4x4 318 auto and turned out to be Reverse lockout switch located on drivers side rear to middle of tranny. two wire switch that had a rubber cap at connection. push on connection that had corroded pins.
I cleaned and all worked again.
Henry