86ish D150 225 goes 1/2 a block then dies, won`t restart until cold

Page 3 of 3
Hi everyone!
Thank you so much for your help.
I have a lot to go through -- which will keep me busy -- and I added a formatted version on my website so I can go print it at the library
I also figured if anyone had similar problems in future it might be a reference for them to check
Here's the link: http://www3.sympatico.ca/rske/dodgetrucks/86ish_D150.html
I'll keep you all posted
rach
Rachel Easson wrote:

Hi! Great news -- I complied the thread as some of you know, and the engine advice will be very helpful now and in future. It is now running. I did get some help from my new boyfriend (who shares renovation skills with me) and used to do some mechanics 25 years ago or so.
Being prepared helped a lot. We had balmy 14 degree celcuis temperatures this afternoon so I payed him to take the afternoon off to help.
Turns out that one of the first things I changed (EGR valve) had a lot to do with it. The EGR solenoid was working back last fall when checked, but after checking the charcoal cylinder, then checking pressure again, he noticed the vacuum to the carb was almost non existent -- seems that although the EGR valve was good earlier, its connections were getting more and more corroded -- turned out to be a poor electrical connection from the EGR solenoid to the EGR valve.
There may have been other contributing factors resolved during the process of replacing almost everything else...
Now I am going to get the other 1986 safetied asap then sell this one (after taking off the good parts).
Thank you again all for your help.
I could NOT have done this without you, and would probably given up hope.
Rach
p.s i have just updated the web page accordingly and leave it there in case anyone else needs similar help.

Damn. all this time I thought it was really a bad hub cap gasket that was the problem.
beekeep
beekeep wrote:

good one!
Hey I just updated the page