'87 Dakota Engine Swap

I'm asking this for a friend, as I haven't a clue. His truck is a 1987 Dakota, 3.9 V6, 5 speed manual, 2WD. He wants to know if a swap to a 318 would be much trouble. Would his current bellhousing match, and how about
the engine mounts, springs, computer, etc. Would it even be worth the trouble, considering he can get a good engine at no cost. Thanks in advance. HD
It would work with the right pieces. It'll bolt to the bell housing, and pretty much everything else. The big questions are if the truck has the length in the engine bay, given its early year, and if the trans will stand up to the V8.
--
Max

I am not sure this is right but i wanted to do the same with the 88 dakota i have but was told the tranny would also have to be changed which i am not willing to do -- just sold the 318 this week
rach