'87 Dakota Fuses

or: don't try to clean up your ciggie lighter contacts with a file...
Okay, I know that was a dumb idea (well, the forgetting I hadn't turned the key off part, anyway...). Regardless, I (big surprise) blew a fuse. What
fuse is the question - no fuse I found is bad. The lighter is dead, the radio is semi-dead...sound comes on, but won't hold a station, no clock or other display lights. Secret inline fuse that requires pulling the whole damn dash? It's possessed? None of the above? Anyone?
Thanks,
Cricket
First comes the question --- does anything else (spotlight, cell phone charger, anything that plugs into a cigar lighter socket) work? If so, go to the auto parts store and get a new lighter insert.
I'm not sure that my experience with my '89 Dakota is valid here, but I looked up in my mauals.
On my truck, cavity 7, 15 amp fuse, serves horn relay, cigarette lighter, and tachometer. You might want to look in the user manual you have for what the proper fuse is, and what else it may serve. If those things are working, go to your local favorite automotive parts store and get a new insert
The radio being half-dead can be related. Your owners manual will be able to tell you more than I can, especially if it is a fuse or a shorting problem.
Another thought hits my head. How did you check the fuses? Do you have an ohm meter or a testing light, or did you look at the fuses only? With the blade fuses in my truck, I've been fooled by the appearance a few times..

Hi, Cricket
Did a little looking around for some stuff --- here's some info you might be able to use.
http://www.allpar.com/resources.html has the following link:
If your manual is out of print, try MoparManuals. http://www.moparmanuals.com/mopar/main/Products.asp They have high-quality 1914-1989 factory service manuals and parts books on CD-ROM, including a clever front end to help you find what you need. You can get 10% off if use coupon code 255727. They are authorized by Chrysler.
Following the link, I found 1987 Dodge RWD Dakota Truck Service Manual #81-370-6010 near the bottom, and they want $65.00 for the puppy. It's pricy, but if you do a lot of work yourself, this CD might be something to buy. I have not found anything in print, though.
Best of success!!
Richard/
Thanks, I'll check into those - I'd really like a regular "owner's manual" (little glove box kind) but on eBay they're twenty bucks or so! Just kind of convienient to have something with service station specs, fuse locations etc, in the vehicle, but not twenty bucks worth!
Haynes isn't too bad on this one, but I find (we've got two Dakotas) that there's either a lot of varition between them or mine have "benefited" from a little, um "retrofitting" since its inception...
Cricket