'87 Dakota Fuses

or: don't try to clean up your ciggie lighter contacts with a file...

Okay, I know that was a dumb idea (well, the forgetting I hadn't turned the key off part, anyway...). Regardless, I (big surprise) blew a fuse. What fuse is the question - no fuse I found is bad. The lighter is dead, the radio is semi-dead...sound comes on, but won't hold a station, no clock or other display lights. Secret inline fuse that requires pulling the whole damn dash? It's possessed? None of the above? Anyone?

Thanks,

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole

First comes the question --- does anything else (spotlight, cell phone charger, anything that plugs into a cigar lighter socket) work? If so, go to the auto parts store and get a new lighter insert.

I'm not sure that my experience with my '89 Dakota is valid here, but I looked up in my mauals.

On my truck, cavity 7, 15 amp fuse, serves horn relay, cigarette lighter, and tachometer. You might want to look in the user manual you have for what the proper fuse is, and what else it may serve. If those things are working, go to your local favorite automotive parts store and get a new insert

The radio being half-dead can be related. Your owners manual will be able to tell you more than I can, especially if it is a fuse or a shorting problem.

Reply to
Richard Wood

Ah, but I have no manual, that is the rub...and Haynes doesn't help a lot - regardless, finally found it - one of those "blew but doesn't look like it" deals.

Yep, you hit it. My multimeter is sitting in peices (little weird fuses in it that I remember any time but when I'm somewhere to get them) and I was just looking, and sticking new ones in just in case - one of those I must have swapped in my hand (while crawling upsidedown in the dark) and hadn't actually checked it. My dearly beloved did the same but must have not fumbled them like I did 'cause he found it. Looks good but for the little item of no juice flowing through...

Still bemused about the half-dead radio, though.

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole

Hi, Cricket

Did a little looking around for some stuff --- here's some info you might be able to use.

has the following link: If your manual is out of print, try MoparManuals.
have high-quality 1914-1989 factory service manuals and parts books onCD-ROM, including a clever front end to help you find what you need. You canget 10% off if use coupon code 255727. They are authorized by Chrysler. Following the link, I found 1987 Dodge RWD Dakota Truck Service Manual #81-370-6010 near the bottom, and they want $65.00 for the puppy. It's pricy, but if you do a lot of work yourself, this CD might be something to buy. I have not found anything in print, though.

Best of success!!

Richard/

Reply to
Richard Wood

Thanks, I'll check into those - I'd really like a regular "owner's manual" (little glove box kind) but on eBay they're twenty bucks or so! Just kind of convienient to have something with service station specs, fuse locations etc, in the vehicle, but not twenty bucks worth!

Haynes isn't too bad on this one, but I find (we've got two Dakotas) that there's either a lot of varition between them or mine have "benefited" from a little, um "retrofitting" since its inception...

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole