87 Dodge Ram Van 318 Valve cover pressure leak and loud knock

Hi yall, I found this great Dodge Group and have been a Dodge Ram van owner for a while. I have had this motor rebuilt (318) and it has about 20M miles on it. I have noticed a slight knock that has gotten
progressively worse over the past few months. First I thought maybe a lifter was acting up in the middle of the drivers side. Then thought it was a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. I checked the exhaust leaking and yes there is a slight pip, pip leak coming from the back cross- over pipe that looks like it goes to a mono feed to a smog type pump. This is a problem that could be fixed I think. There is also that solenoid that sits on top of the intake that has 2 nuts holding it down, that appears to have air coming "out". (wrong direction right?). Then near what seems like the center of the head exhaust air is spitting out of the valve cover. And what is with that weird hole that protrudes down below the middle of the intake mani in the center of the head (I'm a ford guy). That area seems a little airy too. Does the fact that pressure is built up in the valve area indicate a failing valve guide, broken valve or stem seal or?? This knock is really loud now, so much that I don't want to turn it over any more. And what I thought might be the old raspy exhaust leak has a more grinding tapping sound. The noise is coming from the top of the engine, sounds like within the head.
Thanks guys, this is my daily driver. Gotta get this sussed out and take my daughter to school every day.
SparkyJ wrote:

Damn! 20million miles? I think it should be making some noise at that mileage.
Damn! 20million miles? I think it should be making some noise at that mileage.
"M" in Roman numerals has a value of 1000.
NVArt wrote:

Since 1960, "M" in engineering notation is million: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_notation . In electronics, I love when someone specifies a capacitor as MFd instead of Fd... you'd need a forklift for one of those babies! <G> Bryan

The smog pump plumbing can be a real pita. If it's leaking somewhere upstream of the one way valves, it'll sound like exhaust under the hood.
There is also that

I need a better description of this one. All I can think of here is the vacuum amplifier, but there's no electrical connection to it.

If you've got abnormal positive pressure in the valve cover, you've either got PCV problems or excessive crankcase pressure, typically NOT good, broken rings?
And what is with that weird hole that

Mopar design, no problems there.
(I'm a ford guy). That area seems a little airy too. Does the

I could be wrong since I can't hear it myself, but it sounds like the engine is ready for another overhaul.
If you're local to me and need some replacement hard parts, I think I still have some old 318 stuff around. If you're ready for some adventure, I have a 318 magnum engine needing an overhaul.

EGR valve??
--
Ken

I don't know of a single year model that ever had electrical connections to the valve itself. The more elaborate ones (think 4bbl, typically, and post '83 2bbl) had timers and such mounted on the firewall. Those would also have a CTS (charge temperature sensor) at the rear of the intake manifold, maybe that's it? But IIRC, no vacuum lines? Without checking I'm pretty sure it's just an electrical switch.
I'm still scratching my head about this one, hope it's just increasingly poor memory. It's been a long time since I messed with a pre magnum engine.
BigIronRam wrote:

Did any 318 EGR valves have a purge solenoid?
--
Ken