'88 Dodge D50 idle question

Just bought an '88 D50 auto and the idle is set really high. Can anyone give me either a site where I can get some info on setting the idel or explain it so I can do it myself? Or is it something the average person should not do? Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have an 87, all I can say is dont mess with the carb! must be cable positions or something... ANYWAY, I tried to adjust something with idle fuel mixture on mine, and it affected a couple other things badly, as one place I probably touch ed the wrong screw, then there were like 8 screws to adjust mixtures! too much complication on stock carb.

if it is FI, then you are going to need to find others that might have that motor/experience (2.2 or 2.0 liter engines).

So, there are groups on yahoo still around for these trucks and Mightyd50.com is down, but there are others. search google for mightymax, that is the Mitsubishi name (the people who built the trucks and let dodge put the name dodge d50 on them, which ironically now it is the other way, with dodge making the Dakota and Mitsu getting to sell them as (something I cant think of at the moment.). The yahoo group is something like dodgeram50truckowners, there is another one that is on yahoo we ran for a while when spamming was bad and the moderator was MIA. The new mod is very knowledgeable, races and rebuilds the engines in these things, if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Plowboy

Thanks very much. Will check it out Richard

Reply to
Richard

Another problem which turned out to be related is the engine temp did not rise more than the width of a couple of needles from C. I replaced the rad (had many small leaks), the open thermostat and rad cap and now the temperature rises and the idle slows down quite a bit. Not as low as I'd like but significantly better. I guess there's a temp sensor that leans out the mixture when engine temp gets above a certain point and in my case it was not. Should improve mileage quite a bit. :-) Richard

Reply to
Richard